Twins? Should I be intimidated by twin engines?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art and RT,
Obviously I meant most of the time one's anchor will keep the boat from drifting into danger.
Of course it's not bullet proof. In Alaska it's especially true. But on the east coast a long rode stands a good chance of saving the day. Very good chance.

failures always give warnings if you know what to look for.

Always? Really? How would one be warned by a steel injector line cracking in a location that cannot be seen? "Always" is always a dangerous word of assumption.

Art and RT,
Obviously I meant most of the time one's anchor will keep the boat from drifting into danger.
Of course it's not bullet proof. In Alaska it's especially true. But on the east coast a long rode stands a good chance of saving the day. Very good chance.

My first reaction was indeed to try to anchor. It would not set. Just scraped along a very hard bottom. Was getting dangerously close to shore. In the waning light I spied an unlighted face dock about a mile off. We made for that dock and finished tying off in the dark. So, yes, I was quite happy to have had twins that night. On days that nothing goes wrong, singles do just fine.

All my fuel leaks gave notice by smell and collection of fuel in the drip pans.

The misting pin hole leak started and not detected for several days. So that engine happily ran 20 or more hours till I even found the leak, then because the misting was dangerout, I wrapped it so it was merely a drip and drove another couple hours to a marina.

On a gas boat it would have been nerve-wracking to run with a fuel leak, but I would run it long enough to get away from a dangerous lee shore or through a bridge with a following current.

More than fuel leaks, sudden shutdowns are more of a concern to me.

Fortunately out of millions of single engine boats through the years, very few totally lose an engine at a critical time....and most that do, still never wind up on the rocks.

I towed plenty of twin engine boats for all kinds of reasons...

If I cruised in more remote parts of the county, I would probably select a twin boat too. But I think it would be more for convenience than fear.

The AICW no wake zones are easy compared to the Erie Canal. 4.3 knots is impossible with two engines in gear. However, as soon as we escaped the canals, speed was nice to have.

We did the Erie Canal last year. Never heard of a 4.3 speed limit.

As I shop for a boat, some of the Grand Banks models have single, and some have dual engines.

I've never owned or operated a twin engine boat - my initial impression it is just twice the maintenance, upkeep and cost. But, mebbe redundancy is good.

What are the pros and cons of twin engines? Would you recommend twins, and why?

Thanks.

With twins upon entering a marina you center your rudders and control the boat entirely by working the shifters.
Very easy with practice.
When you come to an up wind dock you just get your bow near the dock, throw a bow line and "Twin Screw" the boat sideways to get the stern up to the dock.
You would love it.

To me twins are great for the speedboat that has enough fuel to get where he wants to go , at speed.

The hassle I see , esp for the inshore displacement cruiser is prop damage.

Trash abounds in the waterway , and an accidental grounding does happen, and the Maineiacs do string their lobster pots from channel buoy to buoy..

A centerline single screw reduces the dangers.

In many boats the room to maintain the engine is far superior for the single.

Thank you! We are looking at trawlers, and our home waters are shallow with shoals that creep around. My neighbor mentioned that singles have more protected running gear which in our case is a big plus.

My understanding is that there are several short stretches where the speed limit is posted at 5 m.p.h. (4.3 knots).

The eastern part of the great loop is on my bucket list!

Jim

For any newbie [or oldbie for that matter] regarding gasoline powered boats. Here are my important recommendations.

1. Fully Understand the heat/flash ignition [i.e. extremely explosive] volatility conditions of gasoline vapors... confined "vapors" in ample volume create a sudden, big, powerful, explosive bomb if flash temperature is reached. This can kill/maim and will total your boat as well as other boats if the fire reaches them.

2. Make sure that redundant capabilities for ongoing air change is in action for any confined areas where gasoline is stored and where gas engines exist. E.g. bilge blower, hull/deck vents, open hatches...

3. Do not start-up anything in an enclosed gasoline area without first actually smelling with your nose [i.e. lift hatch and bend down to take a long whiff]. Then turn on bilge blower for ten minutes before starting engine. Those two moves are life savers and the best minutes you can spend to make sure things are starting off correctly. If you smell gasoline fumes - immediately use safe methods of moving the air through and out of the compartment while you begin to assess what/why/where are the fumes coming from. Then take actions as necessary to correct the situation creating gasoline fumes.

4. Often [like a minimum of at least once every time aboard] follow a good regime/schedule for consistently getting [close and personal with all items] into the engine compartment and checking all areas, tanks, fittings, hoses, carbs/injectors, bilge floor, fuel filters etc. If you see or smell anything out of the ordinary then repair immediately or get someone who will soon repair. Do not start engines until all gasoline related items are in good condition.

5. Never, Never Run any gasoline engine aboard boat and go to sleep. You may not wake up if the exhaust comes enough into where you are sleeping. Carbon monoxide is order less and can easily kill a sleeping person.

Those five basic agenda for being safe with gasoline powered boats are simple to accomplish once you get them locked into your brain mechanics of what to do aboard boat.

Overall gas engines are ezy-pezy, inexpensive power sources. Good condition gasoline engines in a boat are simple animals that offer low maintenance costs, are easy to work on, and run quite/smooth with little to no odor.

Happy Boat-Power Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Thank you! We are looking at trawlers, and our home waters are shallow with shoals that creep around. My neighbor mentioned that singles have more protected running gear which in our case is a big plus.

There is no doubt - full keel, single screw boat with full skeg to rudder and even a custom grating fashioned/installed to protect around prop is darn safe for not getting prop damage.

My first reaction was indeed to try to anchor. It would not set. Just scraped along a very hard bottom. Was getting dangerously close to shore. In the waning light I spied an unlighted face dock about a mile off. We made for that dock and finished tying off in the dark. So, yes, I was quite happy to have had twins that night. On days that nothing goes wrong, singles do just fine.

Catjack,
I had an engine quit in a channel about 10 boat lengths (30') wide and scrambled to set my then handy Danforth. As I recall I think I had the anchor on the bottom a tad before the boat stopped. Willard's glide really well.Fuel starvation. Restarted in a few minutes.

Erie Canal
E-2 to E-6: 5 MPH
E-6 to E-12: 45 MPH
E-12 to E-16: 30 MPH
E-16 to E-17: 10 MPH
E-17 to Guard Gate #4: 5 MPH
Guard Gate #4 to E-21: 10 MPH
E-21 to Sylvan Beach Breakwater: 5 MPH
Oneida Lake: No Speed Limit
I-81 Bridge (E-63A) to and including State Ditch Cut: 10 MPH
R "408" at western end of State Ditch Cut to E-26: 30 MPH
E-26 to E-32: 10 MPH
E-32 to E-33: 5 MPH
E-33 to Three Mile Island: 10 MPH
Three Mile Island to Niagara River: 5 MPH

As I said earlier, they're primarily for lock timing. In theory, if you go faster, you'll just wait at the lock.

Also, the speed limits for the other canals:

Canal Speed Limits - New York State Canals

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom