twin vs. single engine rages on....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well that's good news. I'd love to boat there. I've spent a lot of time on the sloughs of the Snohomish River north of Seattle *...fond memories. Do they allow jet ski's in the Delta? Wish I had GPS charts for the Delta then I could "cruise" there. You, Mark and PG's pics are a good substitute at this point.*

nomadwilly wrote:
Wish I had GPS charts for the Delta then I could "cruise" there. .*
*Eric

You can download Open CPN nav program for free and then download NOAA charts for anywhere in USA, also for free and vicariously cruise anywhere you wish.

Add a $20 USB GPS and you have a "back up" chart plotter. I am far from being a computer expert but had no trouble with this.

Regards

Eric, jet skis are allowed. Actually, I can't think of many things that are not allowed in the Delta. It's one of the few places in California that one can go with complete freedom. Of course, we practice "rules of the road" along with common courtesy...no wakes in marina areas, private docks, etc.

I go offline for a few days to visit family out of town and you all have taken off with this thread! :)

"Glad you're back Tony.

psneeld said:

"The only raeson I say most boaters are ignorant ( note I never said stupid)...is most really don't know much about hull design, hull speed, better efficiencies, planning around current shifts, anchoring, etc...etc...they have never needed to in a lifetime of THEIR way of boating."
That may be a nail on the head statement. Hull functions to me are basically obvious where'as advancing my skills on this computer is anything but obvious. We should all make the best of our time ...on the water or anywhere. Those of us that go roaring off to calm waters when it gets a bit rough probably should spend some time aboard a truly capable sea boat. Or going out in the nasty w a truly capable helmsman to learn what you can do and see what your own boat can do. You may be surprised at both.

nomadwilly wrote:
Those of us that go roaring off to calm waters when it gets a bit rough probably should spend some time aboard a truly capable sea boat. Or going out in the nasty w a truly capable helmsman to learn what you can do and see what your own boat can do.
*We could also see how effective a pepper spray bottle is on a grizzly before we pack a 300 Weatherby around all day. Or, how about this....don't put your turn signals on when changing lanes, so as to to see how alert the other drivers are.

There are a lot of things I can do to increase my knowledge base, going out in rough water is not on my list.

SeaHorse II wrote:There are a lot of things I can do to increase my knowledge base, going out in rough water is not on my list.
Agree, getting caught is one thing but going out in it is this side of ....* well let's just say it's not smart.

The difference between putting one's self out in snotty weather and finding one self there when the number comes up is more a matter of time than degree. If your boat can't handle the waves a 30 knot wind can muster w a considerable fetch (but not extensive) then you probably have a bad design. When I say go out there and play in the nasty I'm not say'in head out on a 30 mile crossing in an opposing tide and wind I'm talking about getting your feet wet and I do'nt mean literally. If you've done a lot of 15 knot stuff then stick your nose out in a 20 knot wind and do'nt go very far because when you turn around controlling the boat may be much more difficult than going out. One dos'nt learn hang gliding by launching off a 5000' craig and boating is no different. Most experienced boaters will eventually say "the boat can take more than me". But there's no need to practice for the perfect storm either. But one should try to keep learning as time goes on. I've known pilots that were afraid to get over 2 miles from the airport and they did'nt know much about flying even though they had considerable air time.

nomadwilly wrote:
...*Willy would be quite happy there but her 3 1/2' draft may not be ideal.
*You'd do fine.* Just don't take this Pt. Richmond-based sailboat.

Back
Top Bottom