Old 05-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Given the VW are low HP, using components from somewhere like here Home - Hybrid Electric Marine Propulsion might work well.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #42
Guru

Or perhaps two engines turning hydraulic pumps connected to hydraulic drive it would stop the synchronization problems and make it easy to run just one motor.

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:46 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Or perhaps two engines turning hydraulic pumps connected to hydraulic drive it would stop the synchronization problems and make it easy to run just one motor.
Motion,
If the OP is into hippie financing the cost of at least three major hydraulic components would not be cheap. Vetus has a good selection though.
Also running on one engine would almost necessate a reduction drive ratio very unsuited to running one engine. It would be like taking a regular boat w a 2-1 gear and running it direct drive. Very low thrust and significant overloading. Fine for a "get home" but basically just for an emergency.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 PM   #44
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Beebe showed just such a setup in his original book. His plan was to use one engine when passagemaking loading it for max efficiency at cruise speed and two engines for local cruising. Care must be taken not to overload when running on one engine.
A great plan but the devil is in the details as usual.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
Might be an ideal time to consider a diesel electric set up? A dc generator on each vw and a dc traction motor on the shaft. Infinite power control from 1 rpm to max rpm that suits the prop. Fairly simple install. Then let your imagination go wild with battery set ups, house power use etc, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I didn't discourage or encourage. I simply asked the question, "Why?" One word. I'm assuming to this point that the only reason is he has the two engines, although he didn't directly answer that question. I felt by understanding why he was doing it, people might provide better input.
Exactly right. He has the engines he has now advised, so messing about with a diesel electric set-up in a way makes more sense, rather than just trying to mechanically drive one shaft with two engines in a boat where space for that might be tight in that configuration. Not so much an issue if just driving generators, however.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #46
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Reading this thread I am back to the question already posted by some: What's the point? what's the goal? Looks complicated to me for no obvious reason.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:47 AM   #47

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Reading this thread I am back to the question already posted by some: What's the point? what's the goal? Looks complicated to me for no obvious reason.

L.

Still waiting on that myself
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:02 AM   #48
Guru

City: Sydney
Had a few more hours to think this one over and no matter how much I try to think positive of 2 horrid 65hp Vw engines running a single prop with pulleys and v belts the idea is #@&^*there is no way it has any benefits other than been totally left field .
A single 120HP Perkins or similar with gear box can be purchased for a song and without rewriting marine design and marine engineering manuals should be given a little more thought .
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:52 AM   #49
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Tolly View Post
I am proposing to re power from a single gas to twin vw diesels by way of v belts to a common shaft to input a v drive transmission. Does anyone know of this being done?
I hope that I'm posting this in the right place. This is all new to me.
Welcome to the forum.

A fairly conservative bunch here. They take a while to warm to new ideas.

I agree that this is not the most cost & time efficient way to re-power, but it doesn't have to be. Owning a boat in general doesn't make a lot of financial sense sense but we all enjoy it anyway.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #50
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Welcome to the forum.

A fairly conservative bunch here. They take a while to warm to new ideas.

I agree that this is not the most cost & time efficient way to re-power, but it doesn't have to be. Owning a boat in general doesn't make a lot of financial sense sense but we all enjoy it anyway.
Like he said. Don't be unduly put off by our comments, we are just trying to help - mainly because what you are contemplating gives 'thinking outside the box' a whole new meaning, but we're all keen to come along for the ride, all the same...
Old 05-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Like he said. Don't be unduly put off by our comments, we are just trying to help - mainly because what you are contemplating gives 'thinking outside the box' a whole new meaning, but we're all keen to come along for the ride, all the same...

When I was on acid in the sixties I had plans to put a aircraft jet engine on the bow of my sailing boat to fill the sails but much brighter people put me off the idea .
Old 05-21-2017, 06:19 AM   #52
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
When I was on acid in the sixties I had plans to put a aircraft jet engine on the bow of my sailing boat to fill the sails but much brighter people put me off the idea .
Gaston, someone promoting that idea should, I suspect, be put inside the box - a padded box...
Old 05-21-2017, 06:55 AM   #53
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
Still waiting on that myself

See OP's follow-up post #19.

-Chris
Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #54
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Tolly View Post
I do have the engines and I have the machining, welding, mechanical experience but know nothing about synchronization. I theorize finding the best ratio for economy with one engine and use the second engine for redundancy and extra power ie. crossing the bar etc. I would mount the engines on air bags to dampen vibration and tension/clutch v belts - four 5/8" belts per engine. I don't even know if I can drive the belts of the end of the crank or need carrier bearings.

These diesel engines are very small and light and put out about 65 hp each.
Yes thanks Ranger,
And probably the "machining, mechanical experience and welding" has been frequently overlooked in our posts. However I'm still thinking it wouldn't be of much value unless the gear ratio problem can be solved or if running on one engine will be a rare event.

But he sounds like a good man to pull this off. Missed that at first.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #55
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post

A friend of mine is a mechanics instructor. A recurring class project is to construct a mini modified pull tractor for a competition every year. Hydraulic drive has proven to be just the ticket and a couple years ago started winning the prize with a tractor powered by 7 Honda equipment engines. They can add, swap or remove engines with ease depending upon the class they are running in.

I also like the differential idea mentioned up thread as another way to skin the cat.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 AM   #56
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

A friend of mine is a mechanics instructor. A recurring class project is to construct a mini modified pull tractor for a competition every year. Hydraulic drive has proven to be just the ticket and a couple years ago started winning the prize with a tractor powered by 7 Honda equipment engines. They can add, swap or remove engines with ease depending upon the class they are running in.

I also like the differential idea mentioned up thread as another way to skin the cat.
Now you've opened Pandora's box.
I can't find it on the internet right now, but there was a dragracer with 4 hemis (Chrysler?) Mopar anyway

Ted
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #57
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Tommy Ivo
Thats a flashback!
I saw that thing get eaten alive by a go-cart powered with a helicopter turbine engine.
The noise it made was truly and earthshakingly glorious, but it was way too heavy.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Now you've opened Pandora's box.
I can't find it on the internet right now, but there was a dragracer with 4 hemis (Chrysler?) Mopar anyway

Ted

Yep I remember that one it didn't work either
Old 05-22-2017, 05:08 AM   #59
FF
Guru

The question is what is the Hobby?

Boating ????? or re inventing , rebuilding boat propulsion machinery?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #60
Guru

Another thought just how much power loss friction will occur with V belts pulleys , bearing block , and a gear box ??? . I think those little 65hp engines will be working very hard maybe 80%+/ WOT but they will be doing nothing .