Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
Guru

Proper oil on our TD MG is 30SAE or 40SAE (warmer climate) - not multigrade!
Th strainer is just like wire mesh.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #22

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
Chris's, I did call norras, and he said it sounds like an internal leak. I just checked pressure cold on stbd. Trans, 300 psi; on the port engine it's the same. I'm letting it run to warm up, then I'll take it out for a ride and monitor the gauge. FF, screens were cleaned, fluid replaced on both transmissions 3 days ago.
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dach side View Post
... screens were cleaned, fluid replaced on both transmissions 3 days ago.
"3 days ago"

Was this immediately before the unexplained pressure drop that did not exist before?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Guru

Presumably there is no leakage out of the TD? You did not mention loss of fluid. If it is an "internal"leak, it must be something common to both TDs. If you are losing fluid it might be going out of the transmission oil heat exchanger. It is hard to believe that you could suddenly develop the same problem in 2 separate TDs. I would focus on the plumbing shared by both transmissions. I hope it is not a TD problem. They (ours) need to be removed for service and are heavy/difficult to remove , then expensive to repair.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #25

The screens were cleaned and fluid changed in response to the drop in pressure. Chrisjs, I would agree with you re: pressure dropping when warm, but this has not happened in the previous 2 years and isn't the pressure regulating mechanism supposed to compensate for that? As another aside, I've had the port engine running for 50 minutes and the mech. Gauge showers a constant 30 psi, whereas the lower helg reading started at 345 then dropped to 250; the upper gauge had started at 300 psi, but had dropped to 250. I'm hoping to get out and run the boat to compare readings. Also, temp at hx outflow is 118 degrees.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #26

Rickb, the screens and fluid were done after pressure dropped. Christi's, there is no loss of fluid but Peter at norras thought there might be a leak internally from one of the pistons.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Did you use the mechanical gauge yet?

If not...I'd definitely not panic till I saw the results from it....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #28

Paneled: I had run the port engine 50 minutes with mechanical gauge, 300 psi steady. I put another gauge on the starboard side so I can monitor them underway, both showed 290-310 cold. I'll post a reply tomorrow after a reasonable Ron to kickimuit river.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Don't keep fretting untill you have done the mechanical guage test. But do it. If that shows a problem then you may have a problem.

Electric guages are great but they can also cause all kinds of trouble when they goof up. They make installation easy as the wiring is easy to run to panels in various places. Mechanicals can be difficult to rig to panels and fly bridges.
The trouble is it gets you running around like a chicken with it's head cut off when they goof up. I've been down this road as have many, many others for pressures and temperatures.

Once you really know one way or the other then you can assess the situation PROPERLY and if the guages then figure what specifically.

Keep the electrics connected so you can compare the mechanicals to the electrics for interest sake. These goofy guage, pressure and temp. problems often resolve out to something in the guage, wiring or senders, not the equipment.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #30
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Have you topped off the oil in the transmissions recently, prior to the problems appearing? I note you said you weren't sure what the original oil was but you added 30w.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #31

Aqua belle: I had not topped off the oil, but changed the oil in both transmissions, (after cleaning screens)' because of the lower pressure readings. In regards to the oil that was in the transmissions, I meant I did not know what the p/o had used. I replaced with 30w hd oil, cc/cf as required Bo td.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #32
Guru

If the 2 transmissions share an oil cooling system, then I can now see how an internal seal/pump leak in one unit would affect the pressure for both transmissions. If that is the case, then you would somehow need to identify which is the bad unit. Perhaps Peter has an idea. As previous, hope you do not have to deal with the effort and expense of removing/repairing. If you do, Nopper is the best local shop to RI.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #33
Guru

If by chance the tranny's share the oil system (I doubt it very much)....CHANGE THAT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!....
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #34

They do not share oil or cooling systems
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #35
Guru

Then I do not understand how a seal/pump leak in one TD would affect the pressure in the other unit. So, presumably you have 2 pressure gauges that are both showing the same issue?
It is starting to feel more like an electrical problem.
It has to be extremely unlikely that both units would independently show the same issue at the same time.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #36

Chrisjs: I agree that it's very unlikely that both transmissions develope a similar issue at the same time. Yesterday, I plumbed mechanical pressure gauges into both transmissions. I'll monitor them today, but I think I'll find the mech gauges will show proper pressures. I'll be back.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #37
Guru

Thus RickB somewhat playfully making some of us think through a common denominator such as an electrical issue.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #38

I guess I'll be chasing the wiring soon but I need to confirm pressures under various conditions first, especially since my wife refuses to climb around under the dash areas.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #39

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I read somewhere, probably BoatDiesel, that the biggest killer of Twindiscs was shifting while still having the revs up. I could see that happening to both boxes at the same time. Running hard and then you see a crab pot, slam her into reverse.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #40

Baggiolini: no crab pot issues. If I ran into that problem (no pun intended) I would run them over first. But today, cruised at 8.5 kts for 2 hours, checked mech. Gauges every 1/2 hour: mech gauges consistently 300-320 psi, while dash gauges went from 290 down to 200 psi. Temps were consistently 135 at the case & 124 on the cold side of the hx. I'm feeling a whole lot better about this issue now.