Old 02-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
Turbo Rebuild or exchange. Volvo TMAD 60 C

One of my TMAD 60 Cs has developed an oil leak from the Turbo. Has any one had a turbo rebuilt or exchanged? Who did the work? I have rebuilt turbos but with out access to some useful equipment do not want the job. Looking for a re builder remanufacturer in US. The turbo leaks about 4 ozs. in 8 hours of operation, of oil from a hole in the after cooler housing designed to leak if the turbo sealing fails. So far it is manageable with no other issues.
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #2

City: Ft. Myers, FL.
Vessel Name: Chasing 80
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 460
I have DD 6-71's and had both mine rebuilt last year at Home | Young & Sons Diesel Engines.

I did the removal/install myself and drove them up to Indy to save shipping so I'm not sure if this shop will work for you. They did really nice work and both came back looking brand new for less than 1k each. Good luck in your search.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Guru

Are they Holset turbochargers? I have rebuilt several they are easy.
Also had one rebuilt in New Hampshire. United Turbo. They did a good job.
I would take it to a local big truck parts store in your area and ask where they send them out to. No difference other than the housing truck vs marine.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Make sure the oil is not coming from your blowby system. Some are ducted right into turbo suction and if you have oil going in from blowby, it will look like turbo leakage. Also if crankcase is pressurizing for any reason, the turbo shaft seals will pass oil.

Rare for a turbo to pass oil to the air side unless bearings are trashed. Check axial play in shaft, should be near zero. Radial play can be a little, but usually not enough for compressor wheel to contact inducer bore. That's a red flag.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Make sure the oil is not coming from your blowby system. Some are ducted right into turbo suction and if you have oil going in from blowby, it will look like turbo leakage. Also if crankcase is pressurizing for any reason, the turbo shaft seals will pass oil.

Rare for a turbo to pass oil to the air side unless bearings are trashed. Check axial play in shaft, should be near zero. Radial play can be a little, but usually not enough for compressor wheel to contact inducer bore. That's a red flag.

Excellent advice!
Old 03-28-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Hi, The engine you have is fitted to the FL and FH range of Volvo trucks in non-marinised form, I think they may be marketed in the States as a White Truck, the turbo's are Holset unless they've changed recently and if you go to a truck dealer you can buy a service exchange unit with full guarantee mega bucks cheaper than a marine supplier. But search around for a diesel shop that overhauls injectors and pumps locally and they'll put you in touch with some one reliable.

Now having giving you that info would you help me please ?
I want to start a new thread covering a trip from Ireland to France, I'm handy with the spanners but not the sharpest knife in the box on starting new threads.
Thank you in advance and good luck with the turbo.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:32 AM   #7
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
Now having giving you that info would you help me please ?
I want to start a new thread covering a trip from Ireland to France, I'm handy with the spanners but not the sharpest knife in the box on starting new threads.
Thank you in advance and good luck with the turbo.

Go to the Trawler Forum home screen -- click on the logo in the upper right corner, or click here http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums.

Then scroll down to pick the forum that best suits the topic you want to post about; go there.

Then click on New Thread, type your heart out.

-Chris
Old 03-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post

Auto teacher

on the suggestion in Ski's first sentence. Ski is one of a small handful of Internet marine engine experts. He can also be found at boatdiesel.com

Here's hoping it is a Holset problem as suggested by Jay and others, good luck.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:10 PM   #9
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
Thank you Chris, All sorted now will start the post 'Ireland to the Mediterranean'.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil leak, tmad 60 c, turbo, volvo