Old 08-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #41
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
The manual for my Yanmar 6LPA-STP 315 HP (254 cubic inch) turbo charged diesel says to run it five minutes WITH NO LOAD before shutdown.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #42
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Turbo cooldown is pretty meaningless on boats. By the time you come off power and get into the slip and get tied up in most all situations the engine has idled way plenty to cool the turbo down. And most of these are water cooled (wet) turbos that cool down quick.

On a car or pickup or road tractor while towing on a hot summer day, and pull into a rest stop to pee, then cooldown can be a concern. And most of those are dry turbos which do get hot.

Regarding turbos and longevity: Any engine, whether turbo or not, running at a high specific hp (that is hp per liter) is not going to live that long. Run at low specific output and they live very long. It is that simple.

Almost all modern engines above say 100-200hp are now turbo. They do make them more efficient. And the turbos are very reliable. Just keep the sea water out of them!!!

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #43
Guru

City: gulf coast
Indeed. A bigger problem than turbos IMO is poor exhaust design allowing water back into the engines.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #44

City: San Diego
Obviously an idle 20 minutes up a creek or harbor will do the same as idling at the dock. But some folks think in literal terms and that's what makes us all slightly different and interesting. I know that solid materials hold heat and cold. So, massive iron exhaust manifolds, etc will benefit from additional cool down time. Is it literally necessary? Is it 5 minutes or 20 minute? there's no one correct answer. But the general concept of not being overly concerned or obsessive is a fair attitude to take and enough for me.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:59 AM   #45
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Ideally, if you have an egt gauge, I'd figure 30 seconds to a minute after the egts are no longer meaningfully dropping and you should be as cool as the turbo is going to get.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #46
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
There are no intake valves in a 2 stroke DD, there are intake ports in the side of the cylinder barrel.
Still my point for the supercharger is the same....to keep positive pressure on the fuel/air charge going in the desired direction. Otherwise there is the potential for exhaust gases to go in the wrong direction.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #47

City: Anacortes
Well, just about every manufacturer spec sheet that I've seen has had the engine ratings on them so you could start there.
If you want to find a lot of information on different engines and their outputs in one place try boatdiesel.com. I think you have to but a subscription in order to view engine data but it's cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swfla View Post
This is what I would like to find in writing. Any ideas where something like that might be in one place? or what search terms I would use? I'm looking at trawlers from 36-45 ft. Typical fare. Under $150,000, so older tech.
no need or desire for DD 2 stroke. I do know how loud they are, I lived on a boat with a Coast Guard station in the harbor. I know the sound of an 892 in my sleep.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #48

Quote:
This is what I would like to find in writing. Any ideas where something like that might be in one place? or what search terms I would use? I'm looking at trawlers from 36-45 ft. Typical fare. Under $150,000, so older tech.
no need or desire for DD 2 stroke. I do know how loud they are, I lived on a boat with a Coast Guard station in the harbor. I know the sound of an 892 in my sleep.
You have to realize that diesel engines in a recreational boating application are rated pretty much as highly as they can get away with and still get through the warranty period. Continuous duty commercial engines are potentially the same engines that are de rated both RPM and power. SO running them more gently and the engine will last for quite a long time.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #49

$25 annual for boat diesel.com is reasonable, Thanks.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:56 PM   #50

City: Anacortes
I'm pretty sure ISO sets a rating criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You have to realize that diesel engines in a recreational boating application are rated pretty much as highly as they can get away with and still get through the warranty period. Continuous duty commercial engines are potentially the same engines that are de rated both RPM and power. SO running them more gently and the engine will last for quite a long time.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #51

I wanted to thank you all for taking the time and interest in my posts. Your responses guided me toward discovering other sites thru google. I feel confident about turbo diesels as a whole. It also opens up more boats to choose from. A good problem to have!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I'm pretty sure ISO sets a rating criteria.
You missed my point
Old 08-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #53
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
From a higher end marine engineer about not cooling modern turbo diesels.......

"A gazillion boats with EMD engines might argue otherwise, they are all fitted with "soakback pumps" to both prelube the turbo before starting and to run for a few minutes after shutdown to cool the turbo bearings and seals."
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:34 AM   #54
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Turbos are evil. I would never buy an engine with one.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #55
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Ideally, if you have an egt gauge, I'd figure 30 seconds to a minute after the egts are no longer meaningfully dropping and you should be as cool as the turbo is going to get.
Yes - that is exactly what we have seen running EGT gages for so many years.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #56

After looking at several spec sheets, I see how continuous duty is detuned from recreational, thus a built in safety to increase longevity. As mentioned rec use is maxed out tuning. I also see a couple of models available with three different turbo/hp setups. Common sense tells me to pass on the top powered setup. I also now understand why the gears and prop setup need to have the engine run the required rpms to have the engine loaded. So much more to learn.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #57
Guru

Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Bligh. I was joking. See post #26.

When our boat was being built we could have specified any engine we wanted. I went with Cummins for various reasons. I never considered a continuous duty engine for a recreational boat. Its just not needed for 99% of us, myself included.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #58
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
After looking at several spec sheets, I see how continuous duty is detuned from recreational, thus a built in safety to increase longevity. As mentioned rec use is maxed out tuning. I also see a couple of models available with three different turbo/hp setups. Common sense tells me to pass on the top powered setup. I also now understand why the gears and prop setup need to have the engine run the required rpms to have the engine loaded. So much more to learn.
It is not necessary to run at high load. Just back off to continuous duty power and you have a continuous duty engine. I dont see the advantage of continuous duty engines in non commercial pleasure boats that will see a few hundred hours use per year unless you are buying it for your grandchildren..
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Just because you may choose a QSC600 over a 500, it doesn’t mean you have to run it up there. But it’s there if you need it. And if the 500 is truly the exact same engine as the 600 with a tune, then you have a good idea how hard you can run that 500hp engine. There be no problem with running it at max continuous.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Just because you may choose a QSC600 over a 500, it doesn’t mean you have to run it up there. But it’s there if you need it. And if the 500 is truly the exact same engine as the 600 with a tune, then you have a good idea how hard you can run that 500hp engine. There be no problem with running it at max continuous.
I guess, on paper, running rpms below target speed will encourage soot buildup. Maybe in actual use, it's not an issue until you've reached 5000 hours (random number). This "on paper/in theory" is a trap I don't wish to fall into. But it's hard to tell which posts are real world vs theory. Most everyone states their opinions as black and white fact.