Trasnmission oil cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
I'm relocating the tranny oil cooler on our "northern" boat. Mercruiser V8 (GM 350 block). The current set up is oriented such that the ATF coolant lines enter and exit on the top of the cooler.

Is there any difference in having the ATF lines enter and exit on the bottom of the cooler? I suppose with the fittings on top a certain amount of fluid will be retained in the cooler body and drain back into the tranny if on the bottom.
Also, does the level/height of the cooler in relation to the tranny have any effect?

Thoughts, please...Thanks

Reading the manual for the velvet transmission on my boat it is mentioned that oil cooler should be installed in a way that it does NOT drain back to the transmission when shutting down.

When I changed mine, the old one was fitting down, I installed the new one fitting up (was more convenient).

L

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. WHAAAATTTT????? You actually read the manual? Must be your feminine side showing. A male never reads manuals, maps/charts, road signs or instructions of ANY kind. Thanks. That's sorta what I figured.

The reason I asked is that in MY case it would be more convenient to mount the fittings down. I guess, up it is.

I think I would go with them up also. Sometimes I read the manual when all else fails...

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. WHAAAATTTT????? You actually read the manual? Must be your feminine side showing. A male never reads manuals, maps/charts, road signs or instructions of ANY kind. Thanks. That's sorta what I figured.

The reason I asked is that in MY case it would be more convenient to mount the fittings down. I guess, up it is.
Yes I plead guilty, when I do not know I try to read manuals to find out. My experience taught me that when I am guessing and try by myself I usually mess up badly lol

L

Greetings,
M. L_t. "...I usually mess up badly." You too?

iu

RTF,
How and where did you get my photo? The guy in the light blue swim trunks. :)
You know I nearly drowned?

Back
Top Bottom