Transmission oil leak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Allen

Vessel Name
Next Dance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 32
Hi,
First post, although I have been a regular visitor for several years now and have gained useful and helpful information along the way.

So my first question to the forum is concerning my Borg Warner Velvet Drive 71C transmission on my old FL 120.
I appear to have a transmission oil leak where the shift lever is attached to the transmission. From what I have been able to find out so far, is that the O-ring on the control valve might be damaged and allowing oil to leak.
If I am right in my diagnoses, how easy is it to remove the control valve and replace the O-ring?

Thank you.

Roger

Roger it's really easy and yes, it's normally that little o-ring that leaks. Remove the shift cable, then remove the nut that holds the shift lever on. Be careful removing the shift lever because there is a small steel ball and a spring behind it. The steel ball will likely drop out as soon as you remove the lever so be ready to catch the steel ball. Then remove the three 1/4" bolts on the backside and take off the small cover. There may or may not be wires attached to the cover but you should not have to remove the wires if there. (The cover with the wires is the switch that allows starting in neutral only)
Once the lever and the cover are off, just push out the little cylinder. The o-ring that will be leaking is on that cylinder. The correct size is 112 and you can get them almost anywhere that sells o-rings. Or you can find somebody who sells the actual parts and buy a few for a buck or so apiece. Make sure you use the correct size. I got a bag of 100 from McMaster for I think about 4-5 bucks.
To put back together, reverse the process. Put a bit of trains oil on the o-ring before you re-insert. Put the spring back in then I suggest putting a little grease on the steel ball to get it to stay in place long enough to put the lever on.

Ken

Thanks so much Ken, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Roger

I forgot to mention that there is also a small metal piece behind the little cover with the 3 bolts. When you put it back together, that only goes in one way.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom