Tranny Oil Cooler zincs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,
We have a 2005 6LY2AN-STP with a transmission oil cooler as pictured.

This oil cooler has 2 pencil zincs that need to be changed. I couldn't find the specs/part number for the oil cooler anywhere so using the nut size on the zinc (7/16) and the cross reference chart on boatzinc.com web site i bought these 2.

But today when I tried to install, after picking out old zinc material stuck in the hole, these seemed way to long as the zinc wouldn't seat enough to start threading. I have heard of sometines having to trim these to fit in some applications.

Anybody else ran across this? 20210711_200340.jpg20210713_181250.jpg20210711_200319.jpg

They make anodes in different lengths or you can cut them down. Just be sure not to crack them when cutting them. I don’t refer to the anodes as zincs since there are 3 common metals used for anodes. Zinc is one of them but should only be used in salt water.

Zinc is consumable. Brass is reused. Cut the zinc to length with a hacksaw.

And remember. you can boil anode material out of the reusable brass holder with muriatic acid. Just chuck the holder into a small bottle with an inch or so of acid in the bottom.

Yes, it is not an uncommon action to cut a zinc [anode] to fit.
I learned the hard way a long time ago by not cutting enough and I broke a solder joint between and end plate and the tube which carried the seawater for cooling.
It could not be repaired so a $500 bill.

Back
Top Bottom