Old 03-11-2019, 01:06 PM   #21

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 420 Sundeck
I had the 1003 Torqeedo model with 2x of the larger battery on my last boat paired to a smaller 8' dinghy. I moved to it from a 5HP 4-cycle Mercury outboard.

My main motivation was both weight and maintenance. The Mercury was quite a chore to move around, and I did not have a davit system. In addition, I can't tell you how many times the carburetor got gunked up from "bad fuel" and required me to row, or abandon where I was going in the dinghy.

I ended up with the 3rd generation model of Torqeedo. If you read longer term use reviews, some of the people who had the 1st or 2nd generation versions had major issues - namely the control unit failing at the most inopportune time.

For my cruising style, which is in the Puget Sound / Salish Sea area, it worked great, and got me from the boat to shore, with a little bit of exploring on calm days. If you throw in even a small amount of waves/current, and 2+ people in the dinghy, and it got a bit dicey.

It really all depends on your dinghy size and use case. I loved it because I knew exactly how much range I had left, it was quiet, didn't require me to carry another fuel type on board, and was super light and easy to handle.

On my current boat, I have a davit, Highfield 10' RIB, and a 15HP Mercury EFI outboard, and wouldn't give that up for anything. Different use case!

stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
JDM

City: Pax River NAS
Vessel Name: Ancient Mariner
Vessel Model: Hyatt Voyager
Have had two Torqueedos over the years.
Liked the light weight,no gasoline on bord, good built in gps for range remaining info.
Did not like: easy to sheer the prop cotter pin by barely touching sand/mud bottom, on/off button failed on both motors at some point, range was pretty limited, not a lot of horsepower, lightweight materials seemed a bit flimsy - was able to break off parts of trim and casing with only normal use. Warranty service was good although not that many service locations.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Lesser Light
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
Where can you buy the epropulsion motor - is there a model name?
Foster Nordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Bonita Springs
I have a Torqueedo for my dinghy and love it.

1. No gas onboard. No worry about fresh fuel.
2. No oil changes.
3. No fuel filter changes.
4. Top speed is 5 kts for one hour. Enough for me.
5. At 2.5 kts., I can go 7.5 hours.
6. Lightweight and easy to store.
7. You never need to buy gas or oil again.
Jgutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Hobsonville, Auckland
Vessel Name: Nordic Blue
Vessel Model: Nimbus 380 Commander
jgutten, your experience mirrors ours ... Grae
Grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #26

City: Wrightsville Beach
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgutten View Post
I have a Torqueedo for my dinghy and love it.

1. No gas onboard. No worry about fresh fuel.
2. No oil changes.
3. No fuel filter changes.
4. Top speed is 5 kts for one hour. Enough for me.
5. At 2.5 kts., I can go 7.5 hours.
6. Lightweight and easy to store.
7. You never need to buy gas or oil again.

Same here!

Todd
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
After comparing both the mainstream electrics, I decided on the E-Propulsion unit. A more modern and updated version of the Torqueedo concept. 4 hp equivalent, and a 2.5 hour range at 1/2 throttle where my Portland Pudgy is happiest. Larger battery and more HP than a base Torqueedo. Cheaper to at $1895. Battery floats if you fumble it putting it on the motor unit. I've been Very happy with the choice.. Quiet too as it doesn't have the whining planetary gearset that the Torqueedo has. Very high quality build also....VERY happy with the choice..

Who sells e-propulsion units in the US?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #28
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Elco has a lineup of small electric outboards up to 50 HP:

https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/elec...kaAi9TEALw_wcB

One attractive consideration is their lower weight, compared to fossil outboards of equivalent power, but that can be offset by the weight of the necessary battery.

In terms of cost and weight, it seems we ought to hold-off for another two to three years. By then, battery technology will likely have evolved enough to revise all assumptions about e-power. We're not quite "there" yet.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #29
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Epropulsion is still entering the North American market, I'll link you to the two distributors in the States.

https://www.epropulsion.com/find-a-distributor

I've edited this in, their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/epropulsionoutboard/
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I pulled my Torqeedo out of moth balls this weekend and charged the battery after it has been sitting idle for at least 6 years. Works fine in my garage. It will be interesting to see if the battery lost any capacity after running it in the tender. TBD soon.

I like them, but still prefer a gas engine. Bullfrog and Honda.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:02 PM   #31
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I got my E-propulsion Spirit 1.0 from Electric Propulsion for Sail & Power from AHM

Drop shipped from the importer in California. The E-propulsion site should have a list of US dealers.. (oops....Link above but does not appear to include some dealers...).

It might be noted they've been in the world market since 2015 as I recall. Lots of YOUTOOB videos online from all over the world..
Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #32
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
For those seeking an electric outboard, why not just use a trolling motor and a battery? It seems like a much cheaper solution, similar power, similar weight, etc. The only hassle I see is that depending on how your davits work, you might need to remove the battery to load the dinghy on the boat.

I ask because I have a dinghy that I use exclusively for shuttling back and forth between a dock and a mooring. It's a limited range with recharge capability while stored. Seems like an ideal application for an electric motor.

But I too have been a bit surprised by the cost of the Torqeedo, and a bit concerned by some of the user reports. Then I remembered that I have an old trolling motor sitting in my garage, and thought, what's the difference, and why not use that?
Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #33
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
One advantage with Elco is that they've been around since before dirt.

I've always been keeping my eye out for an auxiliary propulsion system for our 19' square stern canoe. Had a 5-hp 2-stroke gas outboard for a while, which did double duty more often as our dinghy outboard. Weighed 46 lbs. That was the minimum recommended HP for the old dinghy, max for the canoe.

Dealing with ethanol was a pain... and then we got the new dinghy, needed (wanted) more HP, wanted 4-stroke, wanted EFI, wanted battery start... so we sold off the 5-hp gas...

The 5-hp electric Elco, with 24V battery system, looks like a decent canoe solution EXCEPT for the weight. 65-lbs instead of 46. Plus the weight of the batteries.

And there's still the charging system to solve.

The small Torqeedo motors seem to address that weight thing better, but... reviews have been so mixed, and they're so proud of their products, that I haven't been able to warm to that as our best solution.

(I've discounted Lehr propane systems for the same reason.)

Minn Kota, maybe...

In the grand scheme of things, this is only an idea buzzing around in the back of my brain, though, so I haven't really worried about follow-thru...

-Chris
Old 03-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #34

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
For TwistedTree; the reason you wouldn't just use a trolling motor and a battery is that these purpose built electrics are more robust and can push your dinghy a lot stronger/faster than a trolling motor, and no need for a separate large battery box. We have gas now but looking very seriously at swapping it for an ePropulsion motor, would not buy a Torqueedo due to the noise level.
the ePropulsion Spirit model is about $1900, which is just a tad more than a new gas Tohatsu, and actually less cost than a new gas Honda 9hp, and you'd no longer be spending $ on gas.
Battery technology is on a fast ramp-up and they've come so far since when Torqueedo first came out.
This is a great video: comparing Torq vs. ePropulsion.
The other big advantage no one mentioned: it allows you to remove all gas from your trawler, if you have a diesel trawler. Plus, imagine in the floor of your dinghy how much more foot room you'd have: no battery and no gas tank...
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #35
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have had a Torqeedo 1003 for over ten years. I have had zero problems with it. Not once have I gotten a bad batch of electrons. I use it to push my 10' rib and my 10' hard dinghy. It pushes the rib along at about 3 knots and will get the hard dink up to 4-5. To combat range anxiety I have two batteries. I bought it after have to clean the carb on my 4 stroke Mercury 6 times in a season - it has to be taken apart and ultrasonically cleaned at a cost of $100 each time. Ethanol free gas is now available locally so I may clean the carb on the Merc again and see how it runs after 10 years in the shed. I charge my Torqeedo with solar on the big boat and have found the solar electrons work just the same as those from the wall socket at home.

Here is a short video of me cruising in my hard dink with the Torqeedo.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #36
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge View Post
We have gas now but looking very seriously at swapping it for an ePropulsion motor, would not buy a Torqueedo due to the noise level.

Would the difference in sound be noticeable if the props were in the water?

Sounded to me like the Torqeedo prop was spinning at higher RPMs than the ePropulsion, but of course that could have been because of the difference in noise level.

-Chris
Old 03-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #37

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
Chris, good question but there are some other videos on the two companies you can find on Youtube where people are using them in the water and it still seems like ePropulsion is significantly quieter...
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #38
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
A local PNW company makes the EP Carry electric outboard. Our friends have one and love it (three people in a port-a-bote).

https://www.electricpaddle.com/
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:45 AM   #39
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
A large part of the cost difference between a Torqueedo/eProp and a trolling motor is the lithium battery. That makes it a lot lighter than a trolling motor and LA battery. Of course you can buy a lithium for the trolling motor, but then it will cost nearly as much.

The whine from the Torqueedo is from the spur gears in the motor. The eProp is direct drive, no whine. Also the very latest Torqueedo model is direct drive. People who have driven them both in the water say the direct drive is much quieter, whichever brand.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #40
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
What are you people on about regarding noise from a Torqeedo?

I've got one that I've used on our 9' inflatable dinghy and it's considerably quieter than any gas engine I've ever used. It doesn't whine at all. You do hear some electric motor noise, but it's nowhere near a problem.

The upside is a single charge is good for a fair bit of back/forth travel around an anchorage. Recharges overnight via AC. Keeps a charge for months.

The downside is power. If you're talking about flat seas or light waves it's great. If you're talking trying to get back to the boat when a storm's approaching it'll be a wetter ride than you'd get hammering a 9hp gas outboard at wide open throttle. But then you're not making an even comparison. Do the same thing with a Honda 3hp and you'd have about the same problem.

Several big upsides. It always starts. It holds a charge forever. It's light. It can be stowed anywhere, in any orientation, and nothing will leak from it. It doesn't smell, likewise great for storage if you want to put it in an enclosed space below.

We didn't use it at all last year as the new-to-us boat came with a RIB and and outboard and I didn't feel like muscling the 15hp Yamaha off it to test using the Torqeedo instead. I may try it this season.