Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Dream Chaser
Vessel Model: 38' Marine Trader FB Aft Cabin
Stuffing Box Lubrication?

The packing on my stuffing box was last replaced about 2 years ago, just before I bought this boat. My understanding is the bearing is lubricated by the water that is dripping through the stuffing (It has Teflon stuffing in it according to maintenance receipts). It drips about once a minute and that seems to keep the temp of the collar acceptable under power.

Looking at the picture: Is there a bearing inside this housing and is this a grease fitting on the stuffing box and if so, what is the recommended lubrication? Just wondering what maintenance I should be performing with this set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuffing Box.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	99017

Thanks-
Old 02-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have ones that are similar but don’t have the zerk fitting. Mine has water from the engine that feeds into it. Sorry don’t know what you are supposed to do with the zerk fitting. BTW, it looks like your bonding system only connects to the movable side of the stuffing box. I would add a connection to the part that is mounted on the hull.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I can't quite see the fitting. When I zoom in, there isn't enough detail. Maybe you can post a close up?

Stuffing boxes on logs most often get enough water to be water cooled and don't need grease. Bulkhead mounted units like that often do need to be greased. So, if it looks like a "zerk" fitting -- it may be.

I think a good white lithium grease would be appropriate. But, the units on my boats have always been water cooled, so I, myself, have never been able to grease one up and watch the temperature over time to know what actually works best.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BC. I've heard that teflon packing is not the optimal and may score the shaft if not properly adjusted. I see no provision for water injection to the stuffing box. Agree on the misplacement of the bonding wire(s) unless the wire(s) is captive between the two locked nuts.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #5

City: Hamilton
Vessel Name: Moon Dragon
Vessel Model: 1989 IG32
On my previous boat, I had not lubricated the stuffing box, letting water cool the bearing. This is a new boat to me and the stuffing box & cutless bearing is cooled by the engine water. I do not have a zerk fitting either.

The packing I took out of the stuffing box was, not only compressed, somewhat twisted - looks like the part touching the shaft moved more than the part touching the housing.

The shipwright that is currently working with me on the shaft suggests that putting grease on the walls of the box allows the rings of packing to move in unison as and when the nut on the box is adjusted.
Leo Reise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I don't know that I see a problem with the bonding, where it is bonded, especially given that there are three wires coming off of it. I think the question may be, is it worth adding bonding to the other side of the fixture. In other words, there may not be a good electrical connection between the two halves of the stuffing box, so it might make sense to bond both sides. I'd probably clean a couple of spots on the surface and use an ohm meter to answer that.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Boat trailer wheel bearing grease is made to withstand water.

I use it for a lot of things on Sandpiper.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Water proof grease. The grease is deposited at the water side of the packing. Water pressure keeps it against the packing and small drips carry the grease into the packing, helping it seal. Long before no drip seals, this was a common method for sealing and lubing the packing to stop wear on the shaft. With the grease the packing doesn't need to be as tight and yet still make a good seal. Too tight packing will wear the shaft to the point of needing repair or replacement.

I keep 2 grease guns, one with waterproof grease for packing and some old water pumps.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #9
FF
Guru

The grease fitting is used as a temp seal when the boat is not being used.

The grease fitting can be removed and a remote cup greaser installed.

Best choice would be to replace the historic packing with GFO or Duramax ,so no need for water dripping or any grease for in port sealing.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
Water proof grease. The grease is deposited at the water side of the packing. Water pressure keeps it against the packing and small drips carry the grease into the packing, helping it seal. Long before no drip seals, this was a common method for sealing and lubing the packing to stop wear on the shaft. With the grease the packing doesn't need to be as tight and yet still make a good seal. Too tight packing will wear the shaft to the point of needing repair or replacement.

I keep 2 grease guns, one with waterproof grease for packing and some old water pumps.
Originally posted by FF

"The grease fitting is used as a temp seal when the boat is not being used.

The grease fitting can be removed and a remote cup greaser installed."

Posts like these are why I value this forum.

Always learning something new.

Thank's Lepke and FF
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #11
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
I'm pretty anal about electrical things but I don't see a problem with the bonding wire location. The wires are tightened between two nuts on a stud that goes directly into the stuffing box. It should be a good connection, but VERY easy to check with an ohmmeter. There should be less than 1 ohm resistance between the wire ends and the main part of the stuffing box.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote