Old 01-30-2020, 05:36 AM   #41
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I cut my teeth on a double..... Now I have a single and miss the double.
Per grabbing the wrong lever, change out one of the plastic knobs.... grab the wrong one, you will learn to tell the difference even in the dark.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:39 PM   #42
Guru

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Ana
I have Kobelt heavy duty two lever T handle, I've never liked single lever unless it's on air.

Fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
I respectfully disagree with post #9. I have a single as well and for me it's not as much a matter of needing throttle blasts, but more about simply taking it in and out of gear at lowest throttle. If I'm touching the throttle much, I'm working too hard. I just like to inch along to keep the chances of banging into something at a minimum. In fact, I imagine throttle blasts might be more needed in a twin powered boat.
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #44
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Kobelt single or doubles with Cablecraft green cables (aircraft control cables) are as good as it gets for mechanical controls. Cablecraft cables can be tied in a knot and still silky smooth.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #45
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I have the single Glendinning for my single engine Mainship and prefer it, but generally prefer mechanical to electronic. it works very smooth, easy to adjust to or train someone and just works.

I trained someone to help me back out of a slip fighting a wind while I handled the lines. Their first try and worked perfect.

And Glendinnings support is second to none, as mentioned.

I've had both dual and single over the years and prefer the single. There's little change that one can slam it into gear at high RPM with the single. However, my Lavorsi dual control on my Formula was a real nice and quality dual control.

YMMV
Old 02-04-2020, 07:37 AM   #46
Guru

City: Port Canaveral
Dual lever mixup was a recurring problem for me on my twin during stressful docking maneuvers. Luckily my boat was over 100,000 lbs so there were no rapid boat responses or movements.

So if going with duals I would highly recommend installing both gears to port and throttles to starboard.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #47
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
So if going with duals I would highly recommend installing both gears to port and throttles to starboard.
Agreed. That's the only way to do it IMO. Then each hand has a job and there's no mixing.

I've never understood the setups used on some old Chris Crafts and others where it's gear and throttle next to each other on each side. Or worse, the bizarre 4 in the center with gear-throttle-throttle-gear. It may look logical to keep port to port and stbd to stbd, but it doesn't work from a usability perspective.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:57 PM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove springs
Single or double lever.

Been on trawler 4 years double lever both stations. Installed a Morse single on my sailboat 7 years before trawler and never looked back. Makes it IMPOSSIBLE to shift at high rpm. No need to even think/worry about it.

Southx10 is offline   Reply With Quote