Old 05-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Here some pics of what I am talking about. All of these were in one bag so assume they were for an oil change system project. I believe, not sure, that the pic with the hose is the complete "kit" from American Diesel. Black fitting is the one I am talking about. Length of threads is 1/4" and I count 6 threads. Unless I am missing something about this that would match up to Brians 3/4" x 24.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0115.jpg   IMG_0116.jpg   IMG_0118.jpg   IMG_0117.jpg  

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sydney
I dont like anything hanging off a brass fitting without been supported. Id go back and look at the link and fittings I gave previously

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #23
Guru

Gaston, don't understand what you are saying. The EZ fitting shown in your link was much the same as the one I have, no? Except for the valve of course. Mine would have the hose supported along the engine so there wouldn't be any real pressure on the fitting. Are you saying that you would drain straight through into a pan or you would attach a hose only when you were changing oil? Or do you mean that the chrome plated EX fitting is more substantial than the brass one I have?
Old 05-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #24
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Pix help a lot. U have a mixed set of straight, tapered and AN/flare fittings there. But not sure the purpose of the hose barb fitting. U are giving us a pipe fitters exam?
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Gaston, don't understand what you are saying. The EZ fitting shown in your link was much the same as the one I have, no? Except for the valve of course. Mine would have the hose supported along the engine so there wouldn't be any real pressure on the fitting. Are you saying that you would drain straight through into a pan or you would attach a hose only when you were changing oil? Or do you mean that the chrome plated EX fitting is more substantial than the brass one I have?

Yes the EX fitting is the best way to go along with a barb fitting and PVC tube we used the EX fitting and tube along with a oil change pump it made things very easy. We left the 500cm long tube attached to the EX fitting it was so light it didn't need support.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Jabs...EAAOSwU4FZ-6KE
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
Pix help a lot. U have a mixed set of straight, tapered and AN/flare fittings there. But not sure the purpose of the hose barb fitting. U are giving us a pipe fitters exam?
I think that some of these are meant to attach the hose onto a Reverso or similar pump. Not used at the oil pan end and really hae nothing to do with this maybe? Actually I forgot that the push on fitting with the yellow ring was given to me by a guy at Reverso. The other fittings...not sure where they came from. Like I said, found them in the bag with the hose kit.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have a drain kit installed on my SP225s. I do not have a permanent pump installation but rather hook up the pump when I change the oil. Mine has a petcock on the drain hose so that if the hose breaks or comes adrift the engine won’t drain the oil on it’s own. I keep the petcock closed at all times except when changing the oil. Not sure I would be comfortable without a shutoff at the oil pan.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #28
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
As i type this, I sit in a vibration lab testing an electronic product. If u do elect to not use a valve, the tightening torques and hose routing become more critical. In any case, after this install, watch for any resonance as u vary engine rpm from min to max. U dont want that hose flying around trying to loosen fittings.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:06 PM   #29

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver dave View Post
As i type this, I sit in a vibration lab testing an electronic product. If u do elect to not use a valve, the tightening torques and hose routing become more critical. In any case, after this install, watch for any resonance as u vary engine rpm from min to max. U dont want that hose flying around trying to loosen fittings.
This turned into a pretty heavy discussion. Take the existing bolt out, compare the threads to the new fitting. If they match, install your new fitting dry, nice and snug like a drain plug. If you're worried about a leak, put a diaper under it. Jeeezzzz.

mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote