Thoughts on Perkins M60

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Still boat shopping.
Looked at 31' trawler today, with a single Perkins M60 main. Seems a little light on power to me but I'm still ingesting knowledge here. Thanks.
Any experience with these?

No experience with the M60, but we have twin M135's on a 50'. They are excellent, old-school diesels that put out low power for their weight, which is a decent indication they'll last "forever" with proper maintenance.
As to the "light on power", that entirely depends on the hull type - displacement, semi-displacement or planing. 60hp for 31' is, depending on not being overweight, incorrectly propped or dirty bottom, probably perfect to get her to hull speed at a middling RPM. She should be able to hold that all day (though I'm not sure of the M60 rating). If semi-displacement, then the 60 probably lets you go beyond hull speed a bit too.

I guess it would be considered semi displacement, the owner seemed very happy with it, especially the fuel economy. I didn't know if 60 hp was well enough. Anyway boat was listed Friday, I viewed it Saturday afternoon, someone else purchased it Sunday Morning.
Should have made the deal when I had the opportunity. If the sale doesn't go through I will be back on it.
Thanks

Well the first guy couldn't come up with the money, so now I am going back for a second analysis and hope to make a deal on this one.

Our main area of exploration would be the upper Hudson and the Erie/Champlain canals.

Anyone else running a small Perkins?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom