thermostat problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henryj2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Make
Gulf Star
Our 78 Gulfstar 44 has twin Perkins 6.354Ts. A few years ago the port thermostat went bad. Engine specs call for it to run at 180, could only reach 120. The replacement we were finally able to locate was much smaller than the old one and required a "spacer". With that in place it worked perfectly. Recently the starboard began to demonstrate the same difficulty, running at just 120. Our other supplier having gone out of business we contacted first one, then a second authorized Perkins dealer. The first sent us a thermostat that is far too large for the installation. The second sent us one that is far too small. This after taking all our specs including even the engine number. This is a 1978 Perkins 6.354T but it seems even Perkins experts can't get us the right replacement thermostat. Any one have any suggestions short of replacing the engines?
Frustrated in San Diego.

thank you. We will give them a try.

Can you post a picture of the one that fits and a picture of the manifold it fits into?

thank you for your reply but cannot. One that fits is in the port engine. Old one that did work from starboard was taken by mechanic who later said he could not locate replacement?? and did not return old thermostat! Thus we began our search.
Thanks again for the interest.

Many thermostats fit in a variety of engines. You may be able to take the tstat to an autoparts store and have the compare it to their catalogs. Also, almost no engine maker make their own tstats, they are generally made by a tstat vendor. Might be able to find the makers mark on the tstat and possibly a model number.

I'm under the impression that 6.354s have two thermostats.

I'm under the impression that 6.354s have two thermostats.
Depends if you have a multi-cooler or mani-cooler. I do not have a parts list for my multi-cooler version but I do have a spare that came in a Perkins parts kit. Part number Perkins# 2485604 82*C. No idea if it will fit to OP's engine.

The multi-cooler is rectangular.
http://www.tadiesels.com/images_a/perkins-T6-3544.gif

The mani-cooler has round rubber end caps.
http://www.tadiesels.com/assets/images/perkins/perkins-clear.gif

Last edited:
As was suggested above, have ordered thermostat from TAD so we'll see.
Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom