Old 07-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: NYC
Teleflex/ Morse transmission cable need help

Hello all,
Cruising on the iCW this morning Marine Trader dual lehmans. My Port
Transmission control went kinda soft on me and I was no longer able to get in or out of gear, lucky this was on the flybridge and was able to control things at the main helm.
Can anyone advise me regarding how to repair.
How could this have happened ? Simply stop working without any apparent break.
Anyway and feedback and or advice would b appreciated.
Thank You
Apagano
apagano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Nottingham, NH
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Cape Dory Trawler 28 #18
I'm assuming you have cable transmission. On my boat with Morse/Teleflex cables, the fly bridge cable runs down to the cabin helm and attaches to the lower Morse controls. They are two separate cables connected to the master cable that runs to the transmission. The upper cable probably broke at either the fly bridge control or where it joins the lower helm controls. Or, the cable connection inside the controller has loosened or fell off. I had the same issue. It was the cable attachment that came loose and didn't anchor the sleeve to the shift. Should be a simple fix.
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
Guru

City: South Florida
The length will often be heat stamped into the jacket near one or both ends, sometimes at the end of the part number, sometimes in inches

Attached Images

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
What you are describing is a common failure on older Morse cables. There is an inner jacket that will wear over time. If the jacket separates and folds over it prevents the cable from moving. Even though you are moving the controls the cable is just flexing on the inside. It only needs to flex enough to absorb a 1/2” of movement to stop the transmission from engaging. While the cable has been wearing out for a long time it’s not visible so it will always catch you unaware.

Now the big question, do you replace the other cable as well? It certainly looks fine and is probably functioning just fine, for now. It’s a 50/50 thing. Half the time the other one fails in a year and half the time it goes on for years.

I have always replaced both at the same time.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #5
tiz

City: Milford
Open up the flybridge end control (or, really both controls) and make sure the cables are connected and that the control itself didn't break. I had that happen to me - internal lever to cable broke off.

Cable length is usually stamped into the jacket of the cable. Or a model number that may give length.

--KEvin
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
telelex morse, transmission control