Tachometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailr1

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tranquility Base
Vessel Make
Defever 49 CMY
Looking to find a Murphy MTH 6 Tachometer and hourmeter f my Perkins Saber M 135 engine. Anyone has a supplier source or has one to sell?
Alternatively, a replacement? It is roughly 3.5 inch diameter.
Thank you

Ours were replaced by Imnata 4000rpm ones about 5 years ago. Can't find anything about them on a quick search just now.

I don't think they were calibrated correctly though and it's one of my jobs for the new girl. 3000rpm max would be more sensible since the M135's max out at 2600rpm. I don't think it'll matter too much which brand you get - VDO are good and they have them too.

Ours were replaced by Imnata 4000rpm ones about 5 years ago. Can't find anything about them on a quick search just now.

I don't think they were calibrated correctly though and it's one of my jobs for the new girl. 3000rpm max would be more sensible since the M135's max out at 2600rpm. I don't think it'll matter too much which brand you get - VDO are good and they have them too.

Mcarthur, You want any and all analog gauges that reads normally in the center 2/3 of the gauge. They are set that way to give you a quick visual.
In the 1960s, VDO analog gauges were THE gauges to use.

Last edited:

Thank you both for your replies. I have tried various suppliers, including Fort Lauderdale Gauges, without any luck. There’s a substitute tach but it does not include an hourmeter and to make the panels look cosmetically acceptable have to replace all four! Quite expensive. Who supplies VDO or Imnata? Thank you.

Mcarthur, You want any and all analog gauges that reads normally in the center 2/3 of the gauge. They are set that way to give you a quick visual.

Thanks for that, but why would you go with the center 2/3 only?

My thoughts were that for the M135, the range is pretty much from 800 (idle) to 1000 (ie. just in gear) to 2600 WOT. For all gauges, the bottom under 600 is basically unused. If going with a 4000 max gauge then 1400 of that 4000 is unusable at the top end, with 600 not meaning anything (usually!) at the bottom end, or a total of half the gauge being "useless".

With a 3000 max rpm gauge, depending on propping of course, you may be missing near 400 at the top end, along with 600 at the bottom end, or 1000 out of 3000 in total. Also the bottom end 600 is almost the same at the top 400 meaning that the majority of your time is in the middle sweet spot.

Also, is VDO now not as good? You mentioned the 1960's but I wasn't sure whether it is the same today...

Thank you both for your replies. I have tried various suppliers, including Fort Lauderdale Gauges, without any luck. There’s a substitute tach but it does not include an hourmeter and to make the panels look cosmetically acceptable have to replace all four! Quite expensive. Who supplies VDO or Imnata? Thank you.

Lauderdale Compass and Speedometer Off of SR84

Lauderdale Compass and Speedometer Off of SR84

Part A2C1065720001

0-5K RPM Analog
With Engine hours in digital.

Now, the only situation is getting the correct engine hours display. Maybe they can do it for you, if not, make a big notation in your permanent ship's log and permanent maintenance log.

Thanks for that, but why would you go with the center 2/3 only?

With a 3000 max rpm gauge, depending on propping of course, you may be missing near 400 at the top end, along with 600 at the bottom end, or 1000 out of 3000 in total. Also the bottom end 600 is almost the same at the top 400 meaning that the majority of your time is in the middle sweet spot.

Also, is VDO now not as good? You mentioned the 1960's but I wasn't sure whether it is the same today...

Traditionally, that is how gauges are set up. You can make a quick visual look and see that all it right with the world. This how I was trained in the US Navy. IMO, digital read outs are just numbers and it make make it difficult to determine a trend.

To my knowledge, the VDO gauges are still great. I just didn't want to set myself up for massive amounts of criticism. SMILE

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Evidently, last time I checked, Lauderdale Speedometer CAN set digital hours on new gauges.

Looking to find a Murphy MTH 6 Tachometer and hourmeter f my Perkins Saber M 135 engine. Anyone has a supplier source or has one to sell?

Alternatively, a replacement? It is roughly 3.5 inch diameter.

Thank you
Great Lake Skipper has a big selection. It will take some time to determine match

Greetings,
Mr. OD. Evidently, last time I checked, Lauderdale Speedometer CAN set digital hours on new gauges.

Now, that is good to know. I will have my meter set to current engine hours, make a note in the maintenance log and move on with life. Thank you.

Any 3,000 RPM tach will meet this requirement; 4,000 RPM, not so much. VDO and Isspro make programable tachs, programmable to the number of pulses generated by your source. The source can be a magnetic pickup, a mechanical generator, or an alternator.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom