TA vs TI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that the mud has settled a bit on this thread, how about stirring it up?

https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/5...-wins-Energy-Conserving-Machinery-Award-Video

This is an unusual creature with a motor / generator on the tail shaft of the turbo. With light loading, you spin up the turbo with the motor and it becomes somewhat like a supercharger. Under load, the turbo spins the generator and generates power for the vessel. I can't imagine a generator spinning in 120,000 RPM but it could be geared down, although their movie does not depict a gearbox. Instead it probably generates DC at some amazing voltage where it is stepped down to something useful and either used or stored.

I saw a breakdown of some Formula 1 engine- It had a turbo with a planetary reduction coupled to a motor/generator. Same sort of thing. Also had variable geometry turbine inlet vanes. Could function as a supercharger drawing elec power, exhaust brake with turbine/generator recovering braking energy, and function as a regular turbo. Neat stuff. Control algorithm could get a bit complex!!!

I'm a big fan of variable geometry turbine inlet vanes, but have not seen them on the little recreational engines. I think it is due to them getting stuck from humidity. Would like to fix that problem so we could use them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom