Old 01-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
As a guy that has completed a major refit on a large boat all I can say is bee very careful!

You can burn through a hundred grand or more on a refit VERY quickly
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Man! Too many problems with that boat to even consider trying to resurrect it. I don't care how handy you are, RUN Away! Some of the guys that have already posted here are very handy watermen. Listen to them!
Old 01-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I see the Advert says "Sale Pending" Is that you Greg Mitchell? If not, dilemma solved.
Viewing the advert, it is an interesting boat, it looks in good order inside,though what look like well maintained (?well painted) "green engines" are apparently not. Even so I can see why the OP was interested, I find the Storebro an interesting boat too, if not necessarily that one.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #24
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
And let's not forget those teak decks... They scare me. The rest does too for that matter.

DO NOT be like me: waiting interminably for mechanics to show up. And when they find more stuff that's wrong, well, $$ goes fast. Plus Volvo parts are available AND expensive. Very very expensive.

Turbos have their own kettle of fish. Some like them. I do not.

For me, even free, this boat would not be worth owning.

Good Luck. And don't forget there are a lot of boats out there. This brand has built more than one vessel. Another may have been taken care of better. Delayed maintenance that is so apparent is worrisome. The hidden stuff is ALWAYS more expensive and extensive than anticipated.

In my opinion.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #25
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Now that I've seen the photos, RUN AWAY!

All the worst features of a sailboat and few of the good ones you get on trawlers.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #26

City: San Francisco
thanks folks. yes, i'm the "sale pending" - pending survey and fixes....

I appreciate the input. lots to think about.
GregMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
IF that is the 1990 Mr. 99 posted, good luck with using the radar from the upper station...

agreed on that. The radar display is only on the lower station, but I doubt folks know to stay out of the beam.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Now that I've seen the photos, RUN AWAY!

All the worst features of a sailboat and few of the good ones you get on trawlers.
which is, oddly enough, why it works for us.

Short trips, frequent weekending with a 18 mile trip to the yacht club and the kids sailing gigs. Occasional week here and there. Keeping a couple of pre-teens interested in hanging out with parents through their teen years is high on the list.

Our local cruising grounds are about 50 miles up river - quick trips are useful - and we won't do many miles once there. Trip back is usually pretty darn brutal.

We don't need the long haul capabilities of a real "trawler".
Old 01-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #29
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
IF that is the 1990 Mr. 99 posted, good luck with using the radar from the upper station...

it would be unlikely that you would have a problem with the radar (especially if it's already fried) the beam height is very narrow by it's nature, so as long as you're below it, you're not going to get into the beam...

so, as far as the radar goes, while we're being funny, this image is more accurate:
Attached Images

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:30 AM   #30
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregMitchell View Post
Our local cruising grounds are about 50 miles up river - quick trips are useful - and we won't do many miles once there. Trip back is usually pretty darn brutal.

We don't need the long haul capabilities of a real "trawler".
If the trip to and from the cruising ground is hard on kids, have the better half drive up and meet you there with the younger (less patient) ones.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:13 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
which is, oddly enough, why it works for us.....We don't need the long haul capabilities of a real "trawler".
I'll be the devil's advocate by saying I get where you're coming from, and I don't think it's all that bad a prospect. The overall condition cosmetically looks quite reasonable. It is well kitted out. The frozen radar is no biggie if you get a good discount, as you'd want to buy one of the newer broadband types nowadays anyway, especially for a lot of close river work, and they are much lower power draw and output, so that arch position would be fine for up and/or down stations.

The engines don't sound too bad. Not a bad idea to renew all hoses and belts anyway to start fresh, and to do the turbo gaskets is not too major. They don't look like they've had a long or hard life otherwise.

The genny might be toast - or cactus - but maybe not, with a bit of TLC..?

It is a very nice layout, and would have a decent turn of speed. If I'd had access to the opinions I would have got about my boat as it was before purchase on this forum before I bought it I would probably have run a mile, and possibly been denied many quite cheep and cheerful experiences. Might still be looking, actually...just sayin'...
Old 01-14-2016, 04:22 AM   #32
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post

I think this brand is too much of an unknown here in the U.S. ...
Probably the most accurate statement on this thread.

Nice boat. Have fun.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Let this be a lesson for all you shoppers out there.

Do not EVER fall in love with a boat you do not own.
Oops to late I've got one on mind But I also love the one I own That doubles the problem .

If you don't like working on boats I would look at something else. Your kids may would rather use the boat right away than watch you work on it .
Old 01-14-2016, 05:34 AM   #34
Guru

Why in the world would you buy this boat??? Even if you gives it to you, you are going to spend time and money on a boat that will probably never be right.

Volvo's have a reputation for expensive hard to find parts, and your likely going to need a buch of parts.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:06 AM   #35
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
I have a 1991 Storebro 400 SRC in contract

Engine survey, VolvoTAMD71Bs, 350 HP at 2500 rpm

WOT 2350
(after cooler parts are $4700, each)

my initial inclination is, this owner didn't take care of his boat, therefore, there are hidden gotchas even the best surveyor will miss and I could be looking at big bills even after these fixes.

mechanic says to get the fixes, assuming compression is ok, then run the engine hard for 2 hours and test the oil again to see if something huge is brewing in those expensive engines.

opinions?
Let's see now:
  • Engines are 25 years old
  • Engines cannot make full throttle
  • After coolers are shot
  • Volvo engine parts are costly and not easy to find

Opinions, yes. Serious stuff, time and $$ to contemplate here. Have a PM or two with Kevin Sanders about prospects.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I have older Volvos than those, and have had no problems getting parts, keeping them properly maintained, using them.
That said, 1350 hrs is too little for the number of issues your surveyor has identified. The seller has tried to hide their condition under a spray can of paint. Maybe the hour meters have been replaced 1350 hrs ago and they are a lot older? Is your mechanic a VP guy? That would influence the degree to which I would accept his advice on the engines.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Here's a thought, if your still considering the boat, find a Volvo marine dealership, and go talk with one of their managers. Ask them about the specific model engines in the boat you are considering. Are parts available; is a complete rebuild kit available. While you may be able to find aftermarket parts and rebuilt engines available, if Volvo is only selling inventory ( not making new parts) that could be a problem in a year or 2.

Lastly, don't know if you care about resale value, but if you want to sell it in 5 years, you may the engines become a huge stumbling block for perspective buyers.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Here's a thought, if your still considering the boat, find a Volvo marine dealership, and go talk with one of their managers. Ask them about the specific model engines in the boat you are considering. Are parts available; is a complete rebuild kit available. While you may be able to find aftermarket parts and rebuilt engines available, if Volvo is only selling inventory ( not making new parts) that could be a problem in a year or 2.

Lastly, don't know if you care about resale value, but if you want to sell it in 5 years, you may the engines become a huge stumbling block for perspective buyers.

Ted
Great idea, thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #39
Guru

City: Northport
We have one of those out here not sure if it is the exact same but certainly looks like it now that the listing is up.
FWIW - that boat out here is very tender especially on rolling beam seas even at higher speeds. The boat has a narrow beam and even narrower just under the waterline with a high freeboard and CG along with lots of windage and plenty of power for this type of boat. Couple that with larger props and good sized rudders and the boat is known to really lean over when they cruise with us in the past.
If you have not run this boat in larger than 2-3 foot beam seas I suggest you try it out before purchase.

Hope this helps
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #40

i noticed a fore/aft acceleration up on the fly bridge at speed in say 2' chop. I did not experience that same motion at the main level, so chalked it up to the lever arm of being up high and, well, really pushing her. the boat certainly leans over when in a tight radius turn at speed, almost speedboat like.

spoke to "the guy" in the SF Bay area when it comes to volvo's, he's going to take a look at the engine survey. agreed the aftercoolers are almost always an issue but didn't think parts would be a problem for quite awhile yet. He's northern european (guess) and likes both the model of the boat and the engines.

Nothing clear cut here other than it won't be cheap....