Stuffing Box Gland and Hose Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For my two penn'orth I'd go Stainless Steel hose clamps as the trucking industry use zinc plated in many applications.
Stainless is painless.

Hi All,

I replaced the packing material with GTU. I found out that 24" per shaft was just short of 4 rings, so I have ordered another package.

I also found the clamps for the prop shaft hose. They are not a common item. Thanks Parks and Sdoney717.

The rudder glands look ok and I'll keep an eye on them. They may need to be replaced in another year or two. There is evidence of some seepage. They are not like the prop shafts. I'll need to take a pic and figure it out.

Thanks everyone.

JimL

Hi All,

Boating is around the corner for us in the North. Last season I replace my stuffing box with the GTU stuffing product. I should have used another ring moving it to 5 rings from 4. The starboard stuffing box is fine, but still drips more at rest that I'd like. The port stuffing box drips more at rest and has leached out a sort of textured sediment that appears to be teflon type stuff. if you could put it in your fingers, it would be like wet powder.

I'm thinking of moving to GFO for the material for the shaft log. Ultimately, I'd like to go for a dripless shaft, but that is years away.

Any recommendations?

As alway, I thank you for your recommendations,

JimL

A lot of people have tried using the same packing normally used in pumps. It is impregnated with graphite and it will DESTROY your shaft. Don't use graphite impregnated packing!

It is an old thread now but I would also have tossed those old nyloc nuts and used a normal nut and a locknut.

It's a simple job. Best tool for removing old packing is Palmetto 1101 Packing Extractor. $11 at Amazon. Once you get old packing out you can measure thickness and pick up new GFO packing at local marine supply.

Good idea to take a brass bristle wire brush to all bronze corrosion, especially screw threads. Will make it easier the next time you have to take it apart.
I think this is a good answer. And I can also endorse GFO packing...there's no need to engineer in drips in 2018. Get the yard to do it 1st time while you watch....and check they remove ALL the old packing including the bottom ring that will no longer look like packing but can appear to be part of the surrounding bronze housing. As it is likely this will be the 1st time since launch the whole setup has been inspected, I'd take the opportunity to replace the hose and inspect the shaft where it runs through the packing; this is where crevice corrosion is most likely to be found. And sliding the shaft back makes it easier to remove the packing and clean up the whole box generally.

A lot of people have tried using the same packing normally used in pumps. It is impregnated with graphite and it will DESTROY your shaft. Don't use graphite impregnated packing!

It is an old thread now but I would also have tossed those old nyloc nuts and used a normal nut and a locknut.

GFO does indeed contain graphite, but is a very different packing than graphite pump packing.
I believe the difference is the GFO marine shaft packing uses graphite particles in PTFE with Goretex fibers.
The Gore fibers alone or the graphite without the Teflon would be a disaster, but he combination is a modern miracle!
Silicone grease smeared liberally on everything during installation helps insure ease of install and fills any voids that might hold seawater.
Fresh water flushing can help, especially at layup time.

Just remember graphite is the top of the list for reactivity and will eat every other metal placed adjacent to it.

Xsbank, so if graphite is on the top for reactivity, and a dripless system is not in the cards, what are your recommendation for a stuffing box material? Should I revert to the original flax?

As I said previously, I'm not sure GTO worked for me as one prop seal had a lot of "fines" in the drop basin collection bowel, while the other shaft performed within expectations. I am looking to change them both to something more reliable while still on the hard.

Jim

GFO does contain some graphite, but it is perfectly safe to use.
XSbank was referring to graphite pump packing, which is the WRONG material to use on your boats shaft.
GFO comes highly recommended, and won’t harm your equipment.
That said, I flush the entire raw water system including shaft gland with fresh water after every trip.
Drip.ess systems often use a graphite disc too.

Back
Top Bottom