Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 AM   #21
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
sdowney717.
I had the same problem with my shaft being worn by enthusiastic over tightening (ex hire boat). Fortunately I was able to turn the shaft end over and consequently move the worn part (see Windmills And Wine thread at Dunkirk).
I fitted a Deep Sea Seal and we're now drip free with no wear on the shaft, I had one on my previous boat and never had any problems for years.
I hope this is helpful.

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rambler View Post
sdowney717.
I had the same problem with my shaft being worn by enthusiastic over tightening (ex hire boat). Fortunately I was able to turn the shaft end over and consequently move the worn part (see Windmills And Wine thread at Dunkirk).
I fitted a Deep Sea Seal and we're now drip free with no wear on the shaft, I had one on my previous boat and never had any problems for years.
I hope this is helpful.
I cleaned up my shaft at a prior haul out when I replaced the strut bushings.
Still using the same packing.
A prior owner had a gigantic 3 foot pipe wrench laying in the bilge. He said he used that to tighten the gland nut. When I got the boat, water was spraying out. The guy was clueless regarding mechanical things. Did he know about the locking nut? Who knows.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
Guru

City: gulf coast
GFO doesnt have to drip. Simple job just remove those two nuts slid off the packing plug ring pick out all the old packing clean everything with WD40 repack as Hop car said. Three or four rings what ever will fit. Not spiral but rings.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #24
Guru

City: gulf coast
For folks with a scored or corroded shaft a longer or shorter hose will put the packing in a new spot.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
For folks with a scored or corroded shaft a longer or shorter hose will put the packing in a new spot.
I did this last spring and it works great.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 PM   #26

City: Crockers Boat Yard, New London, CT
Vessel Name: General's Quarters
Vessel Model: 2005 Mainship 430 Aft Cabin Trawler
Thanks everyone for the tips. I was able to take out the four rings on each shaft. Once I sprayed them with WD40, and used the previously referenced tool they came out easily. I have the GFO coming in the mail. Thanks for the tool tip.

I want to change the 12 yr old hose clamps. I currently have "Ideal Flex Gear HD, # 462" . I am having a challenge in finding them on line. kscdirect.com has them back ordered and I can't seem to find them anywhere else. Amazon has a Breeze product but not the right size.

Does anyone know where to find an adequate replacement item? I need eight of them. I want to change them before we splash in about a month.

Thanks,

JimL
jimL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 PM   #27

City: Toronto ON
Those clamps look similar to the clamps the trucking industry use?

Constant torque, little spring under the tightening nut?

Try the local NAPA or heavy truck supply house?

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:42 PM   #28

City: New Tazewell
Vessel Name: Saoirse
Vessel Model: 1983 Nauticat 44 Ketch
I recommend you have the yard do this while you are on the hard. I had a mechanical seal fail while dockside, and was only alerted when the bilge pump started to run constantly. Very scary to wake up to.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #29
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
This Amazon Search!

Or, a Cummins Marine dealer, the white monsters are covered with them!
Old 04-04-2017, 01:56 AM   #30
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Would these constant tension clamps work for you?
Stainless Steel Constant Torque Exhaust Clamps Mfg# 730
Old 04-04-2017, 02:02 AM   #31
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
For my two penn'orth I'd go Stainless Steel hose clamps as the trucking industry use zinc plated in many applications.
Stainless is painless.
Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #32

Thanks for the tips. I found this correct clamp at Napa and thanks to Parks at Hopkins-Carter Marine Supply and Fishing Tackle. There are only a few sources for these clamps, so plan ahead!

JimL
Old 04-08-2017, 09:41 PM   #33

Hi All,

I replaced the packing material with GTU. I found out that 24" per shaft was just short of 4 rings, so I have ordered another package.

I also found the clamps for the prop shaft hose. They are not a common item. Thanks Parks and Sdoney717.

The rudder glands look ok and I'll keep an eye on them. They may need to be replaced in another year or two. There is evidence of some seepage. They are not like the prop shafts. I'll need to take a pic and figure it out.

Thanks everyone.

JimL
Old 02-25-2018, 10:28 PM   #34

Hi All,

Boating is around the corner for us in the North. Last season I replace my stuffing box with the GTU stuffing product. I should have used another ring moving it to 5 rings from 4. The starboard stuffing box is fine, but still drips more at rest that I'd like. The port stuffing box drips more at rest and has leached out a sort of textured sediment that appears to be teflon type stuff. if you could put it in your fingers, it would be like wet powder.

I'm thinking of moving to GFO for the material for the shaft log. Ultimately, I'd like to go for a dripless shaft, but that is years away.

Any recommendations?

As alway, I thank you for your recommendations,

JimL
Old 02-26-2018, 03:28 AM   #35
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
A lot of people have tried using the same packing normally used in pumps. It is impregnated with graphite and it will DESTROY your shaft. Don't use graphite impregnated packing!

It is an old thread now but I would also have tossed those old nyloc nuts and used a normal nut and a locknut.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #36
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
It's a simple job. Best tool for removing old packing is Palmetto 1101 Packing Extractor. $11 at Amazon. Once you get old packing out you can measure thickness and pick up new GFO packing at local marine supply.

Good idea to take a brass bristle wire brush to all bronze corrosion, especially screw threads. Will make it easier the next time you have to take it apart.
I think this is a good answer. And I can also endorse GFO packing...there's no need to engineer in drips in 2018. Get the yard to do it 1st time while you watch....and check they remove ALL the old packing including the bottom ring that will no longer look like packing but can appear to be part of the surrounding bronze housing. As it is likely this will be the 1st time since launch the whole setup has been inspected, I'd take the opportunity to replace the hose and inspect the shaft where it runs through the packing; this is where crevice corrosion is most likely to be found. And sliding the shaft back makes it easier to remove the packing and clean up the whole box generally.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #37
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
A lot of people have tried using the same packing normally used in pumps. It is impregnated with graphite and it will DESTROY your shaft. Don't use graphite impregnated packing!

It is an old thread now but I would also have tossed those old nyloc nuts and used a normal nut and a locknut.

GFO does indeed contain graphite, but is a very different packing than graphite pump packing.
I believe the difference is the GFO marine shaft packing uses graphite particles in PTFE with Goretex fibers.
The Gore fibers alone or the graphite without the Teflon would be a disaster, but he combination is a modern miracle!
Silicone grease smeared liberally on everything during installation helps insure ease of install and fills any voids that might hold seawater.
Fresh water flushing can help, especially at layup time.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:33 PM   #38
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Just remember graphite is the top of the list for reactivity and will eat every other metal placed adjacent to it.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:37 PM   #39

Xsbank, so if graphite is on the top for reactivity, and a dripless system is not in the cards, what are your recommendation for a stuffing box material? Should I revert to the original flax?

As I said previously, I'm not sure GTO worked for me as one prop seal had a lot of "fines" in the drop basin collection bowel, while the other shaft performed within expectations. I am looking to change them both to something more reliable while still on the hard.

Jim
Old 03-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #40
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
GFO does contain some graphite, but it is perfectly safe to use.
XSbank was referring to graphite pump packing, which is the WRONG material to use on your boats shaft.
GFO comes highly recommended, and won’t harm your equipment.
That said, I flush the entire raw water system including shaft gland with fresh water after every trip.
Drip.ess systems often use a graphite disc too.