City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. W. Huzzah!

Old 11-28-2022, 03:42 PM   #83
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
How did you lock the crankshaft in place to keep it from rotating with the long bar?
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:03 PM   #84

City: Woodbridge
Vessel Name: DORA
Vessel Model: 2002 Mainship 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
How did you lock the crankshaft in place to keep it from rotating with the long bar?
I put a hammer handle between the crankshaft arm and the block (the oil pan is already removed. i tried a wooden hammer handle first and could see it's started to bent and was on the verge of cracking, so i put composite one instead and it handled it without any issues.

Another option would be putting some metal bar between the bolts holding the plate so it is rested against the floor or something solid on the block.
Waterant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:12 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
As much as I donít like a few things about my 6CTAs, I am very glad I have them and not engines like yours. That surely was a PITA. Glad you got it off. I hope the new one goes on easier.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #86
Enigma

Greetings,
I wonder if never seize would be called for upon re-installation?

Old 11-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #87

I'm not sure if never-seez will help because I did not see any rust on the shaft, pulley or the key which were in contact. There is a small taper and if the pulley got too hot for the installation, it will get on the shaft way too tight.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20221128_233446537.jpg  
Old 11-28-2022, 07:38 PM   #88
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. W. Ah. I see the taper. I agree, don't heat the pulley when re-installing. I don't see any reason NOT to use never seize. I'd goop the shaft up and torque the nut(s) to recommended poundage and call it good.
One reason you may not see any rust is your generous application of penetrant may have washed any rust away.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #89

Agree. I plan putting unti-seize paste on many things during the assembly even if I'm not sure it will help, it will not hurt
Old 11-28-2022, 08:54 PM   #90
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Did it go BANG when it finally let go?
Old 11-28-2022, 11:12 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Did it go BANG when it finally let go?
Yes, but it was not anything spectacular. Just a medium loud bang like when you snap a 3/8 bolt trying to tighten it or break a 3/4 wrench made of chinesium.
At first I fought I broke something in my setup but than noticed the pulley started to move and at that point I saw fireworks and butterflies all around me and the music band started playing and circus clowns dancing.
This was nice but the bang itself was less loud when I expected.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:12 AM   #92
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterant View Post
Yes, but it was not anything spectacular. Just a medium loud bang like when you snap a 3/8 bolt trying to tighten it or break a 3/4 wrench made of chinesium.
At first I fought I broke something in my setup but than noticed the pulley started to move and at that point I saw fireworks and butterflies all around me and the music band started playing and circus clowns dancing.

Well, at least there were dancing clowns.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #93
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
If my memory is correct, this whole effort started with a non-running engine that you could not turn over even manually, what was the culprit? My apologizes if my memory has it wrong or I am mixing up different forum threads.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:31 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
If my memory is correct, this whole effort started with a non-running engine that you could not turn over even manually, what was the culprit? My apologizes if my memory has it wrong or I am mixing up different forum threads.
you are correct. i got the engine out and brought it home.
Currently getting it disassembled for cleaning.

it did not turn because rust was binding the piston's rings to the sleeves and there was some rust on the bearings but it was not too bad, and they cleaned well. a week in evaporust and a nice ultrasonic bath does the trick.

before the engine removal, I did soak all pistons in cylinders for several months in the mystery oil, which did not free them up; also, there was a lot of mud-looking crap in the oil pan and I did change oil which did not remove this crap.

maybe soaking the pistons with ATF/Aceton mixture instead of mystery oil would free them up but i'd probably still have a lot of dirt in the oil pan and blocked oil passages so something would overheat and break shortly causing much more damage.

i wish i did not have to do this but think this rebuild was justified and I'm learning a lot about this engine. hopefully, I'll be able to put it together without too many parts left unclaimed.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20221129_130835666.jpg  
Old 11-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #95
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Same thing happened with a brake drum on a friend's old Volvo coupe. They tried all manner of shenanigans before eventually trying my idea of damming up around the interface point of the drum and the spindle with some plumber's putty and allowing penetrating oil to continuously saturate the area. Took a whole weekend of occasional taps of a hammer around the drum to eventually get the oil to work it's way through the cracks. Gave a mild BANG when it released, and then clanged when it fell off onto the garage floor.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #96
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
Quote:
you are correct. i got the engine out and brought it home.
Currently getting it disassembled for cleaning.

it did not turn because rust was binding the piston's rings to the sleeves and there was some rust on the bearings but it was not too bad, and they cleaned well. a week in evaporust and a nice ultrasonic bath does the trick.

before the engine removal, I did soak all pistons in cylinders for several months in the mystery oil, which did not free them up; also, there was a lot of mud-looking crap in the oil pan and I did change oil which did not remove this crap.

maybe soaking the pistons with ATF/Aceton mixture instead of mystery oil would free them up but i'd probably still have a lot of dirt in the oil pan and blocked oil passages so something would overheat and break shortly causing much more damage.

i wish i did not have to do this but think this rebuild was justified and I'm learning a lot about this engine. hopefully, I'll be able to put it together without too many parts left unclaimed.
Thank you for sharing and I agree that the rebuild seems warranted. If you had freed it up and got it running without a tear down, it probably would have had a shortened lifespan judging by the pictures you have shown. I haven't seen any write ups of DIY rebuilds of these big yanmars but my father has a 6LY in his 390 and while I hope we never need to dig into it this far, I greatly appreciate everything you are sharing along the way.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:15 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
I haven't seen any write ups of DIY rebuilds of these big yanmars but my father has a 6LY in his 390 and while I hope we never need to dig into it this far, I greatly appreciate everything you are sharing along the way.
I contacted a few rebuild shops for doing this; some of them never got back to me, one told me that rebuilding would cost more than a new engine (and I believe it will with them) and another gave me an estimate of "from $25k" for a rebuild and a few months lead time.
from what i understand, those shops never bother with cleaning and reusing parts like pistons or injectors even if those are in perfect working condition and just buy a new one at retail price (and charge you for it) and Yanmar "marine" engine parts are super expensive

i found some possible replacements from Yanmar industrial engines but it's hard to say if those will fit without buying and trying. Those parts are 5 to 10 times less expensive. I was told Yanmar provided a cross-reference between marine and industrial engines before (i think in the 90s) but now it's a closely guarded secret

So DIY was the only option for me, short of trying to find a rebuilt engine which are not around much. There are used 6LY2A, but they have more HP and some major valve-dropping issue that requires a partial rebuild to fix, and I would probably have to replace both engines and sell the starboard one, so i do not end up with 2 different engines.

plus, what would i do with this seized engine? throw it out? no way, it's too heavy ...
do a crapy fix just to make it rotate and sell as "slightly used"? - way too much work if I can rebuild it properly and put it back. so, here i am.

I'll open another thread or do a blog post with some information and photos on the rebuild.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:33 AM   #98
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
I was told Yanmar provided a cross-reference between marine and industrial engines before (i think in the 90s) but now it's a closely guarded secret
If you come across web links that no longer work, try using the Internet Archive to see if there are cached pages of it from the past. I've used it myself to find older catalog pages and documentation. Lots of vendors consolidated during the post-2008 economic cycle and that brought about lots of discontinued products (and whole product lines). And their current websites often make zero mention of anything no longer available/supported.

Wayback Machine
Old 11-29-2022, 09:40 AM   #99

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
thanks, Bill.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:16 PM   #100
Guru