Struggling with JD information - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

36GB

Hello fellow trawlers.

I’ve just bought my first trawler - a 1975 Grand Banks 36 with twin John Deere engines.

And here the struggle begins. I’m having a hard time finding any information on these engines. I’m looking for both manuals, where to by spare parts and just overall information.

The engine nameplate says ‘John Deere 6404DF-02’ I think that’s the name of the tractor version - the marine version I think is called ‘AmMarine 404’, but I’m not quite sure.

Any information you have is helpful

Have a great day.

Lasse - Denmark.

Welcome aboard. Sorry I can’t help with the JD info you need. Someone will come up with it.

This web site has some information about GB 36’s, including a few engine manuals:

Mv Dreamer

Google and find Deere’s online parts site. Enter your engine number and it will tell you everything that was on the engine when it left the factory.

If there was subsequent marinization, it’s probably with off the shelf third party parts. But the core engine should all be available through Deere and their dealers.

I’m presuming this hold true on the older engines, but on the newer ones there is an options tag on the engine with a whole bunch of 4 digit numbers. Each of those represents and parts category, and a specific configuration in that category. The categories correspond with the parts sections in the parts book, and within each section you can see the parts breakdown for each configuration. An example would be the alternator, and there are likely multiple alternator configurations with different size alternators and different brackets.

It’s a really good system once you understand how it works.

For many years John Deere did not marinize their engines and left that to third parties like Ammarine and Lugger. Ammarine engines were used on early GBs.

Ammarine is no longer in business but Lugger- Northern Lights is although JD shut down their marinization business. Lugger may be able to supply marine parts. Also that same block may now be marinized by JD so they could possibly be a source as well.

Any internal parts can be bought from any JD tractor dealer.

David

Is not that JD a marinized version of a Japanese motor?

BY direct if you can.

No, pretty sure the old 404 (meaning cubic inch) was made by Deere and not Japanese. It is about the same displacement as the 6068 (meaning six cyl, 6.8liter), but not sure if is the same base engine. Even if similar, I'm sure there have been lots of changes over the decades.

Is not that JD a marinized version of a Japanese motor?

BY direct if you can.

I think you are thinking about Lugger who have used both Deere and Komatsu base engines in their product line.

In getting parts, it really comes down to what you need, and whether that is part of the base engine, or if it was added or replaced by Ammarine or whoever.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom