Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 PM   #41
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would love a link to the nimber of explosions causeed by shop vacs in bilges that were being used for regular things other than sucking up gasoline.

My guess is near zero.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 PM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would love a link to the nimber of explosions causeed by shop vacs in bilges that were being used for regular things other than sucking up gasoline.

My guess is near zero.
Thank you. My experienced boater friend.

It is incorrect for inaccurate fears/stories/guesses to be spread around about items having useful capabilities aboard boats [tools or otherwise].

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #43
Guru

City: Boston Area
If you were really worried about that ( explosion caused by vac )...you could keep the little shop vac in the salon and just run the hose down into the engine room. Usually the hoses on those things are 6-8 feet long.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #44
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Thank you. My experienced boater friend.

It is incorrect for inaccurate fears/stories/guesses to be spread around about items having useful capabilities aboard boats [tools or otherwise].
Huge difference in general vacuuming in thr bilge and actually vacuuming flammable liquids.

If my bilge was that full of gasoline fumes to csuse an explosion, and I was down there with a vacuum worried about impellsr pieces.....I deserve what I get.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:20 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Read Seaworthy published by Boat/US. It has actual cases of insurance claims in it. There have been claims for shop vacs exploding when vacuuming the bilge in gas powered boats. And it doesn't matter if the vac is in the bilge or in the salon, the fumes, if present, will be sucked into the motor and any spark inside the motor will set it off. Don't take my word, ask Boat/US. The question was why not to us a shop vac in a gas powered boat, I didn't say anything about a diesel.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #46
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Huge difference in general vacuuming in thr bilge and actually vacuuming flammable liquids.

If my bilge was that full of gasoline fumes to csuse an explosion, and I was down there with a vacuum worried about impellsr pieces.....I deserve what I get.
The only instance I can see where there maybe could be a problem is if the person using vacuum had lost all sense of olfactory capabilities. There are some who do loose the sense of smell. That said, if one had lost the sense of smell... then it would only be logical to have fully [like for 20 minutes or more before starting vacuum] changed the air in engine compartment by activating bilge blower.

I mentioned in a post quite some time ago: If I did lose my sense of smell that I would immediately sell my gasoline powered inboard boat - Immediately for sure. Luckily I have a very active olfactory nerve system... some times too active - Phyoo! - LOL
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #47
Guru

City: Northport
Jet Engine/Vacuum Cleaner | MythBusters | Discovery

I saw the episode on TV - it was interesting and informative if you ever get the chance to view it. "Busted"
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #48
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Not saying it couldn't happen but it would need many things to align. Insurance claims are not the best indicators of the truth. I agree with Scott, these claims are not common and may be a ruse to collect insurance money.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #49
Guru

I did read Boat US info...the only one I saw was a guy vacuuming his gas fuel tank....and a few trying to vacuum up gasoline...no mention of "present vapors".

Anyone have the link to this new global threat?

I did find this in Seaworthy....the way I read ot, it doesn't say dont use one, just not if you smell vapors present.... if it was don't use one ever in a gas boat, the warning would be more specific and stronger. So I don't believe the insurance thing until I see a link. Plus my brain knows better anyhow.

"
Bilge Busting Tips
By Tom Neale

A wet/dry vacuum cleaner, such as a Shop-Vac (tm) is a great tool for bilge maintenance. You can pour bilge cleaners down there all day long, but they won’t take care of everything, and sometimes end up smelling worse than the bilge water. An occasional cleaning with a Shop-Vac, using the extensions (such as the crevice wand) can dry your bilge almost completely, pick up grime and dirt, and even suck up most of the wildlife that’s lurking down there. It’ll also help to ward off bilge blister. Yep, in some fiberglass boats it’s possible to get them down there if it’s wet enough long enough. Then you’ve got outside blisters working through to meet inside blisters. This is a union that’s not made in heaven.

Always follow the manufacture’s instructions and warnings when you use any tool. Don’t use a wet/dry vacuum or any other electric tool aboard if there is gasoline or other explosive gasses in the bilge or elsewhere open."