Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Day Tripper
Vessel Model: Albin 28 Tournament Express
Call Brian at http://americandieselcorp.com/ 804-435-3107. Recall that his dad (Bob) co-designed the Lehman Ford marinized diesel. I took Bob's diesel class at a TrawlerFest. Had to tear it down and rebuild it. Then take it outside and fire it up. Runnnnnnn. LOL

Also, you might want to sign up for the next class (Bob's deceased) but run by another guru. It's 2 days and they fill up usually within a day of the announcement. https://www.passagemaker.com/trawlerfest

HypnoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Day Tripper
Vessel Model: Albin 28 Tournament Express
Alrighty . . . Nigel Calder & Steve Zimmerman are teaching the diesel engine class. If anyone could step in for Bob Smith, they can. Do take a look at Nigel's landmark books "Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair" and Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual 4/Ed

Also, Brian my be able to get you a copy of the spare parts list for the 120 of items to carry with you.

HypnoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #23
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
OP here. Went to the boat and...it's not doing it anymore. It DID do it though. Several times in a row. So, will clean connections from switch/button back to the relay and see if anything happens in the future. I did check the electrical connections and they seemd solid as a rock but who knows.

On the classes, I took several including Nigel and Zimmermans "Everything You Need To Know About Diesel Engines" 2 day course at Trawlerfest this past spring. Good basic education on some things but nothing beats you-know-what happening and then coming in here with the issue. Then I go back and figure out what I can. My take is that every boat is different and until I do it on MY boat then all I have is a little limited book knowledge.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Very wise comment. I had 24 years experience in US Navy ships including command of a diesel powered salvage ship followed by 29 years owning a GB42 with twin Lehman 120s before I switched to this boat with an ENTIRELY different type main engine (Yanmar 315 HP turbo-charged) and generator. I felt like a neophyte with this beast for at least a year until I have been over and over it installing improvements and doing some catch-up maintenance like intercooler maintenance and timing belt change.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Maryland
Stop solenoid

I have Lehman SP135 mains and the relay failed and energized the stop solenoid which burnt out with arm stuck on and took me an hour to get engine stopped as I tried everything except reaching into a hot, running motor to fool with linkages until I decided I had no choice but to reach into a hot, running motor and got it stopped. I shut off fuel supply but 30 minutes later was still thrumming away. New relay only $10 but stop solenoid was, I think, $180 from American Diesel.
Eddie and Gail
Eddieandgail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #26
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Very wise comment.
Ha! I am not exactly known for wise comments here on TF so thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieandgail View Post
I have Lehman SP135 mains and the relay failed and energized the stop solenoid which burnt out with arm stuck on and took me an hour to get engine stopped as I tried everything except reaching into a hot, running motor to fool with linkages until I decided I had no choice but to reach into a hot, running motor and got it stopped. I shut off fuel supply but 30 minutes later was still thrumming away. New relay only $10 but stop solenoid was, I think, $180 from American Diesel.
Eddie and Gail
Maybe I should preemptively replace the relay. Again, this did happen and if it happened once and then stopped it was because the boat gods said "You know, he is comfortably tied up in his slip. What's the fun in that? Let's wait until a more exciting time to do this."

Eddie/Gail, if the same happened to me my knowledge of stopping the engine would end with trying to pull the arm manually and then cutting fuel. Wouldn't have a clue what to do beyond that.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Ha! I am not exactly known for wise comments here on TF so thanks.

Maybe I should preemptively replace the relay. Again, this did happen and if it happened once and then stopped it was because the boat gods said "You know, he is comfortably tied up in his slip. What's the fun in that? Let's wait until a more exciting time to do this."

Eddie/Gail, if the same happened to me my knowledge of stopping the engine would end with trying to pull the arm manually and then cutting fuel. Wouldn't have a clue what to do beyond that.

Manually pulling the engine stop lever on the Lehman will stop it immediately and is in a relatively easy to get at location.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #28
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
[/QUOTE] Eddie/Gail, if the same happened to me my knowledge of stopping the engine would end with trying to pull the arm manually and then cutting fuel. Wouldn't have a clue what to do beyond that.[/QUOTE]

You can take the air filter element off of a FL120 to uncover the large diameter air tube. Take something like a cutting board (not the floppy ones they sell nowadays) and slap it right across the tube and you are stopped.

If that engine you cut off fuel supply went on for a half hour, you have other sources of fuel like huge filters full of fuel, another connection of which you are unaware, or the sump oil is being consumed in a runaway, which is really bad.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote