Steering Fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mule

Guru
Vessel Name
Florita Ann
Vessel Make
1982 Present
I was shocked @ $20 a quart for hydraulic fluid for my Teleflex steering system. That price makes NO sense. I went to search and a string dated 2012 discussed various requirements and ISO specs and they are all met by Phillips 66 XC an aviation hydraulic fluid. $6.50 per quart at a local aircraft repair-supply facility.

Do you guys get as sick of being screwed as I do

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sad when "marine" stuff is higher than aviation stuff.

Didn't know about aviation supplies, of if I could get them here.
Cost $35 per litre for the steering fluid.
Hydraulic 5w only available in 20L (5 gal.) pails,usually on special order.

Ted

You can find the stuff on Amazon but you may have to buy a gallon.

If you check the specs, you can match it to a tractor hydraulic oil. Many small marine engines also have a tractor or industrial use. Tractor supply stores are much cheaper than a marine store. Also check Amazon and Ebay.

Sorry but for $20 (2 boat dollars ) the convenience totally out ways the search and driving around .My time on the boat is worth more than the worry .

It reminds me of a chap I know who complained his new $10 Kmart toaster only lasted 9 months on his $2 million boat and he would buy all his supply's at Aldi and would come down to the marina in his $150000 Merc AGM V8 Turbo bla bla with a boot full of grocery's floating around that he purchased from Aldi which weren't in bags because Aldi don't supply them then take a 1/2 hour stuffing around getting them to the boat while I watched him while having a beer :)

It is about equal distance to West as the airport. Then if you plan ahead Amazon or E Bay will bring it to your door for 1/3 the price. You can also get other lube from those guys..KY jelly for instance, 'Ol Chap!

It is about equal distance to West as the airport. Then if you plan ahead Amazon or E Bay will bring it to your door for 1/3 the price. You can also get other lube from those guys..KY jelly for instance, 'Ol Chap!

KY god you must be old :rofl:

Bough some product from West Marine some months ago to replace steering fluid. Don't recall the cost, but it was much cheaper and the steering is back to original performance.

Many tractor supply companies are online. I use Amazon and Ebay so I don't have to leave my boat. I afford my boat and travel by not paying $20 a quart for $20 a gallon oil. I have to be thrifty to do this life.

KY god you must be old :rofl:

69 years old..... Sure as hell beats the alternative... Yeah I am old... I retired at 56, gotta live to 96 to get 3 years (started at 16) SS payments for each year in. Seems fair. On my death bed, son says " Paw, they Wantta pull the plug, OK?" "What day of the month is it" I say. "The 28th" he sez. Me, "aww hell, tell em to pump me up for a couppla days....lets get another check". :rofl::rofl:

Didn't know about aviation supplies, of if I could get them here.
Cost $35 per litre for the steering fluid.
Hydraulic 5w only available in 20L (5 gal.) pails,usually on special order.

Ted

what's a litre? Kindda like a guitar?. Seriously, when I was a kid we in USA had a serious dialog about going metric. We screwed up again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom