Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Twin disc 5050 oil level

We have two twin disc 5050 transmissions, checked the transmission oil today while running in neutral and had been warmed up, the starboard transmission showed nothing on the dipstick, the Port was showing almost to the top of the dip stick. Drained all of the oil from each transmission and got one quart from the starboard transmission, which had no dipstick reading, and 1.25 quarts from the port transmission that was reading high. My label says the oil capacity of each transmission is 0.54 gallons. Filled each transmission with 30 weight TO-4 oil exactly 0.5 gallons in each. Ran the engines, then checked transmission oil levels with the engines running in neutral. Now the Starboard engine which had shown no oil on the dipstick reads perfect, just under full, the port engine which had read almost to the top of the dipstick does so again. Both transmissions operate normally, no balky shifts, or abnormal noise. Any ideas why the port transmission continues to show a high oil level on the dipstick

Checked with engines off, both are exactly the same
helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs
Not sure about the disparity but if your oil feeds and drains into the top of the coolers it holds some up there when the engine shuts down. I think that is the reason to check them running.
PaulGel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Dipsticks the same? Dipstick tube extension the same? Seen both screwed up on TD trannies.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #4

Ski, the dipsticks read just above full on both transmission s when I check them after shutting down the engines. Each dipstick is equal length, and marks, when I check in neutral with the engines running the port engine reads almost to the top of the dipstick, the starboard engine transmission read just under full.
Any ideas?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I think the sticks go into tubes to keep oil from splashing on the stick. Wonder if a tube might be broken off???

Check the oil with engine idling but this time look at both sides of the stick. One side might be getting splashed and other side might give a good reading. Wipe stick and dip/remove quickly.

If level is same as other gear with engines off, then goes several inches higher with engine running, sounds like a splashing issue. Actual oil level goes down, not up with engine running.

Most TD's read about a half inch high with engine off, then normal with engine running. More of a difference with cold oil.

Maybe take the dipstick tube out, I think easily removable.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

Thanks for your help Ski, both dipsticks do read just 1/2 inch above full, with the the engines off and cold. And you were exactly right about splashing, the back side of the dipstick reads just below full with the quick draw. Now I just have to figure out where the screens are, the Twin Disc drawings are no help.
Thanks again
Eric
Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #7

City: Northern Chesapeake
Vessel Model: Carver 440, 6CTA8.3's
Search for the manuals online.
For a Twin Disc MG5050-A, screen is item #38:
Attached Thumbnails
MG5050-A.JPG  
bluebyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #8