Unexpectedly I decided to convert from twin inboard props to a single keel mounted propeller.
I may be sacrificing some maneuverability but hopefully gain some efficiency.
Also the running gear was is sad shape and I didn't want to spend the money on new hardware.
The single drive train will also reduce my work load on the electric motor mounting fabrication and electronics once I get to that phase of the project.
This is a picture of the engine bay.
To the left of the picture is towards the back of the boat.
I have already removed both of the diesel engines on either side.
The new electric motor will hang lower in between the bunks down in the hollow keel.
The new shaft will intersect the two cross members which is where I will mount a thrust bearing to accept the shaft flange.
My plan right now is to use the wheel hub bearing from my donor Prius as the coupler for the automotive CV joint and propeller straight shaft.
Here is a picture of a mock-up of my propeller mounting.
The shaft angle is set to a 2"rise (9.5 degree).
I am thinking a 4 blade 22x18 prop may work for my setup.
I also need to decide how close to mount the rudder.
Yesterday I drilled a 2.5" hole in the keel to insert my new stern tube.
Hopefully at the correct angle.
The plug is an inch thick.
I also see signs of the dreaded hydrolysis in the cross section.
Picture inside the aft part of the keel showing the new hole.
This is where the waste water used to be dumped right up against the raw fiberglass.
Picture of the stern tube section I bought.
2.5" OD 1/4" thick G10 tube.
I am now contemplating the best way to glass this in.