Old 04-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #41
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
The company Im considering has done a lot of Seakeeper installations and their main guy has been in the engine room to check it out, and the subject never came up. I will be bringing a up.
Have they done installs on a vessel similar to yours? If so, maybe a look at one and a discussion with owner as to how it is performing.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #42
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin4 View Post
The company I’m considering has done a lot of Seakeeper installations and their main guy has been in the engine room to check it out, and the subject never came up. I will be bringing a up.
Colin,

Our Seakeeper (SK) was installed at the yard in Asia, and SK sent a technical person there to oversee and advise. There are very specific guidelines as to the structural reinforcement for the box, for both new installs and retrofits.

Surprised to hear your local person didn't bring this up, but if you had not signed on the dotted line and just looking for rough ideas and pricing, I would assume they would eventually get in to the nitty gritty if they are following the corporate SK process.

The local dealer in our area who represents SK is very good. He is ex Aus Navy (Engine) and a 25 year master electrician. Very detailed guy who spends a lot of time making sure things get done right. He does new installs on a routine basis and can't keep up with demand. They are installing these in high end go fasts like Rivieras, Sport Fishers, Slower speed cruising boats like many of ours, and a variety of others down to a Ranger Tug that is parked 100 ft away from me. The few guys that work for him have been to SK training school and have tech sheets to follow for anything from routine servicing to major repairs.

BTW, power demands are not bad. If I remember correctly, mine takes about 10 to 12 A to spool up, then settles in at about 8 A, but don't quote me on that. The specs in SK are the go to.

There are a-lot of good options out there for stabilization, and the best fit is different for everyone depending on how we use our boats, distances run, and whether we use the Gen a lot anyway for things like making water when offshore, so running the Gen to power the SK is inconsequential.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #43
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
Have a newbie dumb question.
Fins work better if you’re making adequate speed through the water. They are typically sized to be effective at your average cruising speed. In a seaway, particularly if going into the waves it’s often desirable to slow down. Maintain adequate rpm and speed as you confront and rise in the first half of the wave. Then decrease rpm once you pass the apogee and maybe even surfing.
So is the effectiveness, in actual use, of active fins decreased when in a significant seaway?
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #44
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
Fins work better if youre making adequate speed through the water. They are typically sized to be effective at your average cruising speed. In a seaway, particularly if going into the waves its often desirable to slow down. Maintain adequate rpm and speed as you confront and rise in the first half of the wave. Then decrease rpm once you pass the apogee and maybe even surfing.
So is the effectiveness, in actual use, of active fins decreased when in a significant seaway?

I'd say it depends on 2 things: how conservative is the fin sizing? And how much does the hull shape lead to you changing speed through water as you encounter waves?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:20 AM   #45
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Fins work better if youre making adequate speed through the water. They are typically sized to be effective at your average cruising speed. In a seaway, particularly if going into the waves its often desirable to slow down. Maintain adequate rpm and speed as you confront and rise in the first half of the wave. Then decrease rpm once you pass the apogee and maybe even surfing.
The fins adjust amplitude and reaction to sea state. Even my 50 year old Vospers had a lo-med-hi switch to adjust for sea state. Modern ones are much better. Similar to how an autopilot is adjusted to sea state.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #46
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
My fins are speed controlled by the computer. Works so well, it almost seems as if the fins can see waves coming and react to meet the wave rather than waiting for the wave to hit. I don't know about your assertion that you slow down to meet waves....I generally set the throttle and go. Fins make driving the boat so much easier.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #47
Guru

City: Barrington
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Boatless at present
My limited experiences were mostly on an Henrique sport fish going out to the canyons. When going into 6-9’ with short period we’d slow down. Have seen more going to weather on my sailboat on passage. One of the reasons I’ve reefed is to avoid being frequently swept by green water and decrease pounding. Not racing. We’re all about comfort. Assumed others do the same.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #48
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
My limited experiences were mostly on an Henrique sport fish going out to the canyons. When going into 6-9 with short period wed slow down. Have seen more going to weather on my sailboat on passage. One of the reasons Ive reefed is to avoid being frequently swept by green water and decrease pounding. Not racing. Were all about comfort. Assumed others do the same.

Every boat will hit a point where you have to adjust speed. But how much you have to, whether you need to start adjusting over very wave and when you hit that threshold will depend on the boat. Some go to weather nicely, others prefer following seas. Same way some sailboats pitch like crazy going to weather while others pitch less but play submarine through every wave.

rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote