st6.3544m idle speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkc914

hello all
any one have an idea as to what the idle speed is for a perkins st6.3544m engine. workshop books were no help

thanks
kevin

any one have an idea as to what the idle speed is for a perkins st6.3544m engine. workshop books were no help

We have a hydraulic stern thruster so we idle at 800RPMs to prevent stalls. Without the hydraulics, 650-700RPMs should be sufficient.

hello all

thanks
kevin

It's on page 58 in my Perkins engine manual. Says "Adjust idle speed to 625 Rev/min". . . . . . "but idle speed may vary based on application."

I have mine set at 600 rpm's, (because we're often fishing and a little lower idle speed is better for that purpose.) But I usually idle the throttles up to 800 rpm's for docking. Makes the boat control response a little quicker and it's still within the shift RPM spec's for the BW Velvet Drive Trans.

Last edited:
That engine can idle quite low and usually not stall, even down to around 500rpm. Set it where you like it. Most are between 600 and 700. Too low and it stalls on shift and shakes. Too high and it bangs into gear.

The key is to not have the idle so low that shifting does not stall the engine.

Not a big problem with small propellers but a heavy shaft and big prop have lots of momentum to start or reverse.

Also some mfg will balance the engine so it only shakes at what they would considerba non operating RPM, very low idle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom