Spare Dinghy Prop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
So while in the Abacos last year with my brother visiting, we were running up beaches on the dinghy. As will happen a few times we hit sand a bit before I raised the motor - and once or twice maybe heard a "clunk! :)

He asked me if I had a spare prop and pin on board. Of course I didn't.

So I have decided it is a small investment that can offset the spoiling of a lot of enjoyment.

So, apart from the right sized prop and the pin, is there anything else "down there" that I need to have on board if I spin a prop?

I need to put that stuff in spare parts inventory. THANK YOU!

Be sure to carry all the tools you’ll need to change the prop. When you get the new prop, go ahead and swap props so you’ll know what tools you’ll need.

If you need to use a dinghy carry a spare prop. The rubber bushings on these props wear out and you find yourself without a dinghy motor even if you haven't hit anything.

If you travel to remote places you could find yourself without a dinghy for days/weeks waiting for a replacement.

We carry a water pump repair kit. It includes gaskets, impeller and a few other parts for our 9.8 and we had one for our 15 hp Yamaha. The kits were less than ~$50. We chewed up one impeller that I attribute from beaching the dinghy a lot.

When you buy a new prop for your O/B consider buying one with less pitch. Almost all outboards come with a standard pitched prop which is to much for a dinghy. A dinghy takes lots of power to get up on plane (assuming your O/B is big enough) and the flatter pitched prop lets it rev to higher power levels which lets it get up on plane easier and with more weight on board.

And yes, the hub rubber bushing can spin. When our 9.9 hp Tohatsu did that it would be ok at low speeds but at wot it would spin and not go any faster.

David

I spun the rubber bushing on our 15hp Yamaha . We were on a beach about 3 miles away from our mothership ,and our spare. I was able to take the prop off and hammer sticks off the beach in around the rubber to firm up the hub , this allowed use to motor back the 3 miles running at a high idle.

I spun the rubber bushing on our 15hp Yamaha . We were on a beach about 3 miles away from our mothership ,and our spare. I was able to take the prop off and hammer sticks off the beach in around the rubber to firm up the hub , this allowed use to motor back the 3 miles running at a high idle.

Nice MacGyver work!

Back
Top Bottom