Old 01-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #21
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Yeah but I do like the term “clam crusher”.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #22

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
X you marked the spot on fuel. Never looked at all the other costs of owning a boat and comparing it to my fuel burn. It makes my gasser’s look affordable to run now.

I am indebted to you all for all the free information you have given me! And then on the other hand I think you have created more havoc in my head and making me really think this process out in a good way!

Thank You TF people!

If our wakes ever cross paths give me a ring I would like to meet you all...

Troy
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:02 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okydowky View Post
The SP series gives you longer life between oil changes?

Yes the Okanagan is a beautiful place to vacation and live, but it’s grown so much in the last 20 yrs and is very expensive. This is why we have started our pre retirement plant and headed to the coast with our boat.
I don’t think they necessarily give you longer time between oil changes. But one significant difference between the 80-120(Dorset) and 90-135 (Dover) engines is on the Dover based engines the oil supply to the all important fuel injector pump is shared with the engine. rather than having its own reservoir that must be changed at typically no more than 100 hr intervals. The main engine oil is specd at 200 hr change interval.

Ken
Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I took the last seminar that Bob Smith gave. He said change the injector oil at 50 hours. If it was not diluted then extend the interval a bit more. When you started to see dilution then you have gone too far in hours. He said that frequently engines are different. One member in the class said with his twin engine boat one engine needed an oil change at 50 hours and his other engine would go 100 hours.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I took the last seminar that Bob Smith gave. He said change the injector oil at 50 hours. If it was not diluted then extend the interval a bit more. When you started to see dilution then you have gone too far in hours. He said that frequently engines are different. One member in the class said with his twin engine boat one engine needed an oil change at 50 hours and his other engine would go 100 hours.
Yup makes total sense to me. Right now I end up doing my engines at 100-125 hrs because of the seasonal area we live in. I send in oil samples for test every year and so far it looks like I could go quite a bit longer. It will be interesting to see how it looks when I do end up with longer change intervals.

Ken
Old 01-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Xsbank wrote;
“Where your costs rise is in having 2 engines, double the maintenance”

Not double the maint at all. That notion never seems to go away but two engines of the same total power will have close to the same servicing cost. They vary though. Two JH Yanmars and one FL will be very close to the same cost.

But where this comes from is a mindset that all trawlers are powered by one or two FL’s. Comparing twins to singles is not valid unless both the single and the twins make close to the same power.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #27
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
I have twin P90's. Simple and reliable. Easy to work on, parts readily available. As previously mentioned they are an upgrade from the Std 80 with the addition of an improved injection pump.

I have used 1 engine to get home out of necessity. Slight drag from unused prop. I consider normal maintenance and fuel costs to be a very small part of boat ownership. There are several prior threads regarding singles v. twins. I think the overall condition of the boat and the engines is more important than the number of engines. Find the boat you like. Buy it.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #28
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I have twin 90’s in my Krogen 42, one of five out of two hundred plus made. I cruise at 7.5 mph @ 1400 rpm burning 1.9 gph. If I run on one engine I lose 2 mph. It’s a #43,000 Vessel.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #29

City: Cortes Island
Vessel Name: Bygone
Vessel Model: 40' TollyCraft Sundeck
Ok Meridian I have just checked off the don’t worry about engine size off my list! Thank you, if your pulling those numbers with a vessel the size of yours, I may be able to class my #26000 new to me trawler a sport yacht....
Okydowky is offline   Reply With Quote