Single or dual fuel filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For a single engine boat Triple, two running in parallel at all times, one for standby all same micron. That’s what we run on tow boats. We change filters every 500 hours. If in between the filters get gummed up you swap over to your single and put yourself in a safer position than you were in because they never clog up at a convenient time and change your twins at first available time and open one of the new ones. If it clogs up once you are prob going to be changing them fairly regularly shortly after that so it’s nice to have two in running in parallel to stretch out filter swaps. Although we go through prob an average of 20,000 gallons of fuel a month.

How many gallons of fuel does 500 hours represent? What type of filters? Thanks.

I put LEDs behind all my Racors so I can turn on the engine room lights and see what is/isn’t in the bowls without a flashlight. It is much easier to see with them backlit than using a flashlight. No reflections from the bowl. And no searching for the flashlight that didn’t get put back where it belongs...

Oh yes, that is a good idea. Thanks Comodave.

On my last boat I added a second Racor 900 with valves and fuel hose to switch between the two filters. It was much cheaper than the pre-built duplex Racor.

But, after 4000 operating hours, I never clogged a fuel filter. Never even had to switch to the backup due to high vacuum. I just changed them once a year, which worked out to 600-800 hours.

On my last boat I added a second Racor 900 with valves and fuel hose to switch between the two filters. It was much cheaper than the pre-built duplex Racor.

But, after 4000 operating hours, I never clogged a fuel filter. Never even had to switch to the backup due to high vacuum. I just changed them once a year, which worked out to 600-800 hours.
Most of the time most North American boaters (no slam here against other parts of the world, just no experience) will not experience engine shutdown due to fuel filter getting blocked. But having experienced it 3 times in heavy weather I will not go out without the ability to quickly switch from dirty primary to clean primary filter by simply turning valves.

My boat operates from LA to Alaska. Meaning I only purchase clean fuel. I have been out there in some very snotty conditions. I check my Racor filters frequently as part of preventive maintenance. I have never needed to replace a dirty filter. I replace them every two years simply as a preventative measure. There is just no reason for me to upgrade from a single to a dual.

If I was traveling farther abroad I might have a different opinion.

I have to agree with you on this.

I have often thought of a dual filter setup but the PO installed a set of Floscans which take up the valuable space on the wall of our utility room, making dual filters a significant project.

So, the thought stays a thought and I have never replaced a clogged filter, just preventative replacements like you every other year.

How many gallons of fuel does 500 hours represent? What type of filters? Thanks.

Racor 1000s are the filters. 5 micron. Idk rough guess would be 60,000 gallons. We fill up the boat 2-3 times before a filter and oil change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom