Old 04-18-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yanmar 6LPA-STP coolant fill (radiator cap)

It was interesting to find that when I went to the Yanmar dealer to buy a new cap that the packaging said its rating is 0.9 KG/CM2 which translates to 12.77 PSI. I had looked at the original cap on my engine and thought the stamped number there was 60 - the decimal point was tiny and obscured by age. I did not know what 60 could have meant. The new cap is more cleanly marked as "0.9." Just something to know if you go cap shopping in an auto part store. I see where there are Murray 13 PSI caps available at O'Reilly's for a LOT less than the Yanmar version, but I do not know if it would fit.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 AM   #2
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
60 upside down looks a lot like 0.9. 13# cap sounds about right. I'd go with the Yanmar cap as it is a rather critical part of the cooling system. It maintains pressure in the system, which limits cavitation, and limits air intrusion for corrosion control, and makes the recovery bottle work. Not a good place to experiment with cheap Chinese knock-offs.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
60 upside down looks a lot like 0.9. 13# cap sounds about right. I'd go with the Yanmar cap as it is a rather critical part of the cooling system. It maintains pressure in the system, which limits cavitation, and limits air intrusion for corrosion control, and makes the recovery bottle work. Not a good place to experiment with cheap Chinese knock-offs.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
FF
Guru

A gent discovered that by using a coolant recovery and return system , all the air could be purged from the coolant making the system about 25% more efficient.Air is an insulator.

The world wide engine mfg. jumped on the concept as the cooling system could be 25% smaller.

A proper recovery cap is required to maintain the system.,,An overheat could be expensive!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote