Shift box thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
I'm stumped. This is some kind of electric shift relay thingamajig. It's on our newer-to-us PDQ with yanmars. The gears are kanzaki kbw 20. I'm not sure if this is a kanzaki part, a Morse controls part, or what. There's no markings on the outside that I can see, but it's not always shifting completely. Before I begin any surgery, I want to know what the heck I'm looking at! Especialyy because it's got some larger gauge wires going into it, as well as the shifter cables. Any identification is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_170614208.jpg
    IMG_20200726_170614208.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 76
Just a guess, your shift levers at the helm are electric. They send signal down that big wire and cause the actuator to move the shifter cables that attach to the transmissions. Give us a photo of your shifters. If it's attached to throttle instead it may be a synchronizer like Glendinning.

Last edited:
Good thinking, but there are true cables coming from the shift levers at the helm. There's a second, short cable that comes off of this box and goes to the transmission. When I shift, there's a electrical noise, like a motor moving, and the transmission shifts. It's almost instant. Except sometimes it's not complete, and the gear doesn't engage.

Here's the helm shift levers. These, at least, say "kobelt"

Attachments

• 15958473659356816932657157191591.jpg
    15958473659356816932657157191591.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 43
These are electronic shifters. The cable from the shifter runs a few feet to another actuator box to turn into an electrical signal. Hard to say where that box is exactly but there's a wire running back to the one in the original image.

It's a box that converts single lever action from the two helms to both throttle and shift cable motion. Sort of like an outboard motor control box. With two single lever helms, you need some sort of mechanism to convert that motion to throttle and shift motion.

I don't recognize the brand. Could be Kobelt since they made the helm controls. In the big sportfish world they are called "Panish" boxes for that particular brand, even if not made by Panish. They can be a bit of a pain to set up and adjust.

Snoop around it and see if you can find a mfr marking.

It's a box that converts single lever action from the two helms to both throttle and shift cable motion. Sort of like an outboard motor control box. With two single lever helms, you need some sort of mechanism to convert that motion to throttle and shift motion.

I don't recognize the brand. Could be Kobelt since they made the helm controls. In the big sportfish world they are called "Panish" boxes for that particular brand, even if not made by Panish. They can be a bit of a pain to set up and adjust.

Snoop around it and see if you can find a mfr marking.

Can you explain the large wire going into the box.?

Can you explain the large wire going into the box.?

No, I have no idea what the actual guts of the box are like. I just know that if you have two single lever helms, you need a mechanism to split up the throttle and shift cable motion. I suspect that is what the thing does, but still in guess mode.

GABE, it would make sense that there are two of these boxes as you have dual engines. You've confirmed that the outgoing cable goes to shift lever on transmission. Do you have symptoms on both transmissions/shifting? While the problem might be in this box, remember that there's a sending box near the helm. If that signal or physical connection is out of adjustment, it might affect this box. If it were me. I'd look at where the shift cable attaches to transmission and see if an adjustment at that point would make a difference. I think you mentioned a noise coming from box. Check the other engine's box for similar noise and appearance. Having a properly operating unit gives you a standard to compare to. I think you'll agree that there are 4 boxes total for two engines. A lot for you to look at. A mechanic can likely pinpoint the issue quickly and repair or replace quickly. If you have lot's of free time and enjoy this kind of thing, it could take quite some time. Please continue to keep us posted to your discoveries and progress. Cheers.

Thanks everyone.

It definitely controls the shifting. One cable goes to the transmission, one goes to the lower helm. (The upper helm goes into the lower helm). There's power going to it though and it sounds like a motor does the actual shifting, based on the signal from the helm. I think it's too keep the shifting quick, and exact.

I'll see what I can find on "panish" boxes! Thanks

Thanks everyone.

It definitely controls the shifting. One cable goes to the transmission, one goes to the lower helm. (The upper helm goes into the lower helm). There's power going to it though and it sounds like a motor does the actual shifting, based on the signal from the helm. I think it's too keep the shifting quick, and exact.

I'll see what I can find on "panish" boxes! Thanks

Did you look at the PDF link I posted?

Gabe n Em, what is the outcome. I'd like to learn from this thread and see if the effort I put in to help was time well spent.

I don't think it's a Kobelt actuator unless is old. Kobelt actuators look different and have small manual control handles that allow shifting from the actuator. It look like a put together system of various manufacturers.
Your problem could be cable adjustment or stiff cables that need replacement.

Still puzzling this one. Sorry, I got distracted by some other projects

Swfla: Im not positive the PDF you posted is exactly this unit.

Ski: "Panish" boxes aren't coming up. Any chance that's misspelled or something?

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_153020567.jpg
    IMG_20200728_153020567.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200728_153038612.jpg
    IMG_20200728_153038612.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 18
Update: I'm sorry to have ever doubted you, ski. There is a Panish box on eBay. It does look to be of similar functionality but not exactly the same thing..... The search continues.....

EUREKA!!!

Its a kobelt 4607 electric power assist!

A quick search only shows a few for sale, all for about one boat buck. Woof. Maybe there's some repairing possible. I'll post photos if/when I get around to surgery on it

Back
Top Bottom