Old 05-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
oil filter oil extractor

I ran across this guy at the boat show a little while ago and have been meaning to mention him here. He has developed a clamp on oil filter oil extractor to make changing oil filters less messy. I held the device in my hand and I can say its very sturdily built. I don't need one myself, but I know the topic of messy oil filter changes comes up every so often.

I don't know this guy and have no stake in his product whatsoever, but as I said, I thought it was a good device and wanted to spread the word for anybody who might be interested.

https://hv-flex.com

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
That would have been great on my sailboat. With a horizontally mounted oil filter mounted low on my Yanmar, it was almost impossible to change without making a mess.

It would be good on my generator now. That filter change tends to be messy as well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
That device looks expensive and a lot of work to use.

The oil filter on my former Yanmar 6LY was particularly bad to replace. It sat in a little trough in the air cooler and as soon as you loosened the filter, oil would rush out and accumulate in the trough. There is a drain to the trough- a 1/4 hose but you need to do it once without so you will remember to use it next time.

With the use of the hose and a plastic bag to quickly wrap around the filter to catch its contents once it comes off, the filter isn't that bad and certainly this device isn't worth the time and money to make it easier.

Another example of a boating gimmick.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
With the hole poked in the side of the filter how would the oil below the hole get out?
Would work good IMO if one could install the device such that the hole is poked in the bottom of the filter.

Some to lots of filters drain themselves. But they don’t supply instant oil pressure at startup .. I think (is that true). I think there’s a valve that retains the oil in the filter for startup. Does this device make use of that valve in the filter?

The filters that drain out are the kind that came w my engine. I didn’t have the oil mess until I started using NAPPA oil filters.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
With the hole poked in the side of the filter how would the oil below the hole get out?
Would work good IMO if one could install the device such that the hole is poked in the bottom of the filter.

I noticed that too. It can be placed at any point around the filter provided you have access.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Thanks! I am extremely interested and will check it out! I have a Volvo MD2030, which has a horizontal filter. I always wind up going through half a roll of paper towels to prevent a mess in my bilge. Removing the filter is always most unpleasant.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: gulf coast
I have been punching a hole in the filter with a nail for decades. Just drain into any suitable container.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
An automatic center punch works well for this, very quick and useful for other things as well. One hole in the bottom, one in the top, about 10 seconds.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:53 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Disposable diapers are good for absorbing oil. A screwdriver punched right through the filter("through and through" as they say in the meat industry for knife injuries) is a good lever for unscrewing one, and the holes would allow drainage too.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Does anybody know how this device gets all the oil out with the hole punched in the side?
If it can indeed be done why do it from the side. If the side works it would seem to me it would work from the top as well.
Also to buy into this, one not only needs to buy this device but the extractor too. Probably well over $100 entry cost. I have the extractor myself and many will but I’m think’in most won’t.

Bottom line for me (w horizontal filter) is to just get self draining filters.
But when we have discussions about MV oils many always say it’s important to have low viscosity oil at startup so it will get to the bearings faster. I think the oil goes just as fast w/o low viscosity because of the gear pump and the fact that oil is not compressible. Volume is the same.
But the filter that came w my engine (new) had “Isuzu” printed on it so I assume at least that manufacturer thinks starting up w no oil in the filter is just fine.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
My Hino’s have horizontally mounted canister filters. The canister has a drain plug that will drain all the oil into a container. When I loosen the bolt the filter and any oil drops into a plastic bag. When I bought the boat I planned on doing a remote spin on filter but after changing oil a couple of times and having zero problems I decided to leave as is. I’ve changed enough filters in my life as a mechanic the Hino filters are much easy and less mess than some.
The filter on my Westerbeke generator makes a mess if you’re not careful. I finally started using a oil pad in a bag to deal with it.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #12
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
My Westerbeke generators oil filter is horizontal and impossible to change without spills.

Last winter, I installed a remote oil filter on the engine room bulkhead for easier changes.

Westerbeke wanted $400 for the remote filter kit. The hoses in the kit were not long enough.

I purchased a spin on oil filter adapter and remote filter housing from Derale, an automotive performance cooling manufacturer. Had a local hose shop make the hoses. Whole thing cost less than $100 and is a better system then Westerbekes.

If you know the diameter and thread pitch of the engines spin on filter mount post, you can select the correct adapter. There are only 5 diameter/pitch combinations in automotive which most small diesels use. There are different adapter outlet configuration available to make hose routing easier.

As for the remote filter mount, there are 5 diameter/pitch combinations available for those too. I chose a mount with a thread that would accept the Ford PH8A filter, which the Leman uses, so only one type of filter had to be stocked. Additionally, the larger PH8A holds more oil.

There are only 5 spin on oil filter diameter/pitch combinations in automotive. The numerous oil filter sizes all use one of those diameter/pitch. The difference between filters is the size of the canister, micron rating, valve or not.

I've converted quite a few diesel generators to remote oil filtering and they were all based on industrial diesel engines; Kubota, Mitsbishi, Isuzu and all used one of the 5 common diameter/pitch combinations. Westerbeke oil filter spin on is 20 mm X 1.5 mm.

Ford Lehman uses one of the common threads; 3/4" - 16 PH8A. I don't know about other marine diesels but it would not be hard to look it up on the web.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 AM   #13
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
This is what I use. It's cheap, easy and takes up no storage space.

https://store.trailsoffroad.com/prod...ol-6-5-x-14-5/
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #14

City: South Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I have been punching a hole in the filter with a nail for decades. Just drain into any suitable container.
This and a ziplock bag to catch the oil
latravcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 AM   #15

City: La Conner WA
Vessel Name: Northwest Dream
Vessel Model: Davis Vashon 42 Trawler (Defever design)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
My Westerbeke generators oil filter is horizontal and impossible to change without spills.

Last winter, I installed a remote oil filter on the engine room bulkhead for easier changes.

I purchased a spin on oil filter adapter and remote filter housing from Derale, an automotive performance cooling manufacturer. Had a local hose shop make the hoses. Whole thing cost less than $100 and is a better system then Westerbekes.

I chose a mount with a thread that would accept the Ford PH8A filter, which the Leman uses, so only one type of filter had to be stocked. Additionally, the larger PH8A holds more oil.
This is a great idea, thank you for sharing it. My next-winter project list includes longer oil filter lines for my Lehmans so I can mount them more conveniently. I'm adding this for the genset, and make a trifecta!
Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Guru

I've used that green thingy for years on both my Westerbeke and VOLVO oil changes. You can mold it into any shape to catch the dirty oil...comes in quite handy for a DIYer.
ancora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #17
Guru

Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalphreak View Post
This is a great idea, thank you for sharing it. My next-winter project list includes longer oil filter lines for my Lehmans so I can mount them more conveniently. I'm adding this for the genset, and make a trifecta!
When you replace the Lehman oil filter hoses, make sure to use a hose with 1/2" inside diameter. The original hoses were 3/8" ID and created a restriction.

Most Lehmans got the small diameter hoses replaced with larger hoses when the oil filter bracket was inverted to make filter changes less messy. American Diesel sells the 1/2" hose kit but the hose lengths are fixed. Better and probably less expensive to have an industrial hose shop make the hoses. Or you can make your own with the push on hoses and connectors, also sold at the hose shop.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote