sealing shaft log threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

Got the stuffing box off the shaft log. After getting the screws out of the crossmember, the stuffing box just unscrewed from the shaft log. I have reconstructed the crossmember and all is set to go back in. The thread fit between the stuffing box and the shaft log is very sloppy (I'm confident this is where my leak was from). Any recommendations for sealing the threads. I don't want to 5200 them as the stuffing box is a removable/replaceable item.

Dave

I have never see a box where the threads sealed anything. They usually serve to compress the packing against the other half and the shaft. That is where the water is stopped not the threads.

I’ll have to send pictures. If you’ve never tore into a Taiwanese Trawler, you wouldn’t “picture” it.

I understand, not sure why any good inert pipe thread sealant wouldnt work....thicker the better, but water pressure here isnt a huge factor.

I’m having trouble visualizing it as well. Is the slop in wood, fiberglass or metal?

3M 4000 is less tenacious than 5200–but still very strong—and will supposedly bond to metal (unlike 4200). It’s also rated for below the waterline and cures in about 24 hours in mild temps. It’s fairly thick stuff so might help with small voids. I just used some on my stuffing box raw water injection plumbing, which I’ll post about separately.

Here are some photos. Got it all back together... used some thread goo. Glassing in the new crossmember now. Those are threads on the end of the shaft log.

Attachments

• 58F310C8-2E76-438F-97A1-F57F6B952C98.jpg
    58F310C8-2E76-438F-97A1-F57F6B952C98.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 4E358D16-E0D3-4BD9-9A58-6AF216968D65.jpg
    4E358D16-E0D3-4BD9-9A58-6AF216968D65.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I’ve developed a tendency to carry multiple cans of rector seal #5 for anything that has threads, including the prop nut, big or little. I don’t know what’s in it, but if you use it, it doesn’t leak.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom