Seal ing plastic fuel tank crack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
I have a leaking fine 5-10mm long crack in the integral plastic fuel tank of a Tohatsu 5hp 2 stroke outboard. It`s immediately adjacent to the plastic fitting in the bottom of the tank where the fuel pick up goes.
Question is, what to use to seal it. It has to cope with gas and adhere to plastic. I`ll probably need to open the crack to get whatever I use to seal well. Research suggests Permatex 85420 Gasket/Sealer and JB Weld. I`ve seen nothing saying Permatex adheres to plastic. JB weld does and resists fuel, but it`s hard setting and vibration is an issue.
Any thoughts

Last edited:
I have some JB Plastic Weld I use on lots of things. Whatever you use, try a "dry" spot on a clear space on the tank cleaned with a dab of acetone to see if it adheres well.

Buy a new tank. I had this exact problem with a Nissan 5hp integral tank.

Nothing works except replacement.

Buy a new tank. I had this exact problem with a Nissan 5hp integral tank. Nothing works except replacement.
Same outboard I think. I might try a fix first, motor is 13 yo, though done little work, it might go to a new owner with the IG when it gets sold.
Interesting, the fracture is precisely in line with a tiny raised seam on the fuel take off insert tube, I`m guessing the seam is more prominent where it sits in the tank and pressing it in has ultimately caused the fracture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom