Salt water in velvet drive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captjohn7

Veteran Member
In checking my trans oil I discovered the oil to be thick and white. I drained and replaced the trans fluid 3 times and the fluid looks and smells correct. Is there any chance I dodged a bullet ? I plan to depart N.Y. for Florida in September. Should I just yank it and have it rebuilt ? Of course I replaced all 4 oil coolers on the engines thinking they are all the same age. Thanks

If it is in the reverse cylinder it won't come out by flushing. You need to pull it and turn it upside down to drain it out after removing the top plug.
Do this before the salt corrodes the upper part of the reverse cylinder.
If it corrodes the piston won't be able to travel evenly and will take out the tranny.

Thanks

I pulled the plug and the fluid was contaminated. I drained and replaced. Will watch. Thanks for the right advice !

Deleted

Ted

Might want to look for the place salt water got in the oil. The only place they meet each other is in the oil cooler.

Might want to look for the place salt water got in the oil. The only place they meet each other is in the oil cooler.

He said he changed it.

I've been around a bunch of VD trannies that got water in them. Do a bunch of oil changes with a bit of a run in between each. Keep changing oil until the ATF is bright red and clear, and not milky pink. All these gears ran for years afterward.

Back
Top Bottom