Salt on Inboard Engine Surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viking828

Thanks to a dry-rotted engine cooling hose, salt sea-water has sprayed throughout the bilge area on our 390 Mainship. I'm trying to figure out how to clean up the salt that remains on the surface of the Yanmar 6LYA-STP. Can I simply how it off gently? Should I use Salt-Away? Looking for ideas.

Take off the air filter and tape up the air intake to the turbo as well as the vent hose that terminates just above the air filter and the air vents to the alternator. The engine is then effectively sealed up. Then gently wash it down with a hose while scrubbing with a hand brush . Salt Away might help.

Then remove all of the tape, start it up and run it under a light load for a half hour at the dock while tied up to dry it off.

David

When I was a kid and drove junk cars which burned and leaked more oil than fuel we would cover the carb and distributer with plastic bags and just pressure wash them. Generally, when warm, or even hot. Sometimes clouds of steam coming off the engine.

I'm sure it didn't do them any good but I guess it didn't really do any harm either.

But the value of the entire car was less than the value of the starter on my F.L.

pete

Generally if you avoid high pressure and are mindful of covering and avoiding any areas that might not appreciate water, it's pretty safe to rinse off an engine.

If you can rig up hot water, that will clean off salt much better than cold.

Very hot fresh water and brush will dissolve the salt i have found.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom