Old 02-07-2021, 02:24 PM   #1

City: Ft Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Kava Kava
Vessel Model: Sealine 420 Statesman
Black Widow for props

I have not had luck with either PropGlide or PropSpeed on my props or running gear. They both have failed. It was suggested that I take the props back to bare metal, put on 2 coats of primer, and then use Petitt Black Widow bottom paint on the props. This is a very hard racing bottom paint that can be burnished to a smooth finish. Has anyone tried this approach and if so, what were the results? Boat is in Florida. Thanks.
truant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Why have they failed?
Blowing the coating off? If so you likely have electrical issues.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I coated all of my running gear with Black Widow last winter. After about 90 hours of run time this past season, the paint held up well wear-wise. No visible wear on anything, even the prop tips (still had the slight brush marks I hadn't fully polished out). Props were clean to the touch at haulout, the rest had just a hair of slime that wiped off with a bare finger.

However, I did have some adhesion issues. I used the Pettit prop coat zinc stuff as primer. On the shafts and props I got some tiny spots where the paint and primer bubbled off, it seems. But only a few spots here and there. The struts held up fine other than 1 chip in the paint. The leading edges of the rudders lost some paint as well, and I had serious paint bubbling and failure (lost about 40% of the paint) on the trim tabs.

In my case, I don't think it's an electrical issue, as the tabs and rudders had been holding paint fine before I stripped them to do the Black Widow. I'm thinking either I didn't get the surface finish rough enough, or the primer wasn't adhering well enough (the failure spots were right to bare metal, but the rest was still well adhered).

So this year, I'm going to strip the running gear back down to metal, prime it all with Primocon, then coat with Black Widow. We'll see if that holds up better.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote