Old 09-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #1

City: Northport
Running Lehman 120 on home heating oil

I have been running my Lehman, Naturally Aspirated, 120hp diesel on home heating oil for the last decade. (I have filled up maybe 1x a year at a dock)

I travel a-lot and use boat frequently use it year round, so i can go through 1500 gallons a year.

I ask the fuel oil guy to fill up drums when he fills the house tank. (Obligatory tip of course)

Recently, my brother ran out of fuel oil, so he borrowed a few barrels. He was going to fill them back up and return from the gas station. I told him just to wait until he gets fuel oil and have them filled.

He then said, well, you should not run your diesel on heating oil because it does not have any lubricants added. Since he is a smart guy, I looked up “on road” (green tinted) diesel from the pump and saw they added lubricants!!! I suddenly second guessed my brilliant idea of saving $1.50 a gallon by using heating oil.

So I did some research and wanted to share the good news (i was right!) with the group.

Long story short, heating oil is high sulfur diesel and has more lubricating qualities that low sulfur diesel that is destined for your local pump. . The low or “ultra low” diesel has lubricants added prior to hitting the pump because the refinery process to remove sulfur also removes other naturally occurring lubricants.

To note, if you use high sulfur diesel in modern diesels (post 2007) you might have a problem that could hurt your engine.

So in summary, if you have an old Lehman, she was designed for, and loves to eat, home heating oil, lmao. Also, i have never experienced water in my fuel, or algae etc….

One more note, I realize that high sulfur diesel is not the best for the environment, But its 2k$ in fuel savings each year. (Sorry)

https://fueloilnews.com/2010/03/04/t...-of-lubricity/
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Yup, #2 diesel and #2 heating oil are basically the same thing. Heating oil may (but doesn't necessarily) contain more sulfur. And they may not necessarily be filtered to quite the same standard. But for off-road (untaxed) diesel applications where it'll be dyed red anyway, it's generally pretty equivalent. I do second the "check the sulfur content" thing for newer diesels.

Worst case, even if you need to add some lube to the heating oil, you're not going to spend $1.50 / gal on additives, so you'll still come out ahead.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #3

Thanks Rsl…

I wanted to share because i cant stand paying the extra bucks on the water. I sue that 2k to make sure I maintain all maintenance schedules. (And add autopilot, lmao)
Old 09-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
It's possible that you might save some money using home heating oil in your boat's engine, but it's also possible that you could harm it. I think checking with the manufacturer would be wise.

That said, I used to keep my boat at a marina that didn't sell diesel fuel so there were times when I had to throw my four five gallon jugs into my truck, drive to a gas station, fill them up, drive to the marina, offload them onto a dock cart, roll the cart down the ramp and to my boat and then try to pour the diesel fuel from the jugs into my boat without spilling too much. It was a royal PITA.

So I saved a few dollars, but in the end, it wasn't worth the time and trouble, at least for me. I try to buy fuel at the lower priced marinas when I'm travelling, but at my new marina, if I need fuel, it's far simpler to pull up to the fuel dock and just pay the price.

When you consider depreciation, dockage, insurance and maintenance, fuel costs are not the major costs of boat ownership.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

I guess for folks that store boats in marinas and have work done like bottom paint, then fuel is not a major cost.

For me, it is. I don't pay for storage and I do my own work. I make a decent living, but 2k is 2k no matter how much do you make.

For me, i lift the barrels in truck with lift in garage and then just drive up to boat and siphon out. At 80$ saving a barrel, I enjoy the process.

When it comes time to changing my cooler every 2 years, or exhaust elbow, injectors, overfill tank cap, thermostat etc…. The old girl (lehman) gets what ever she is due. I only have that attitude since save that money each year.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I am a retired chemical engineer who worked in the petroleum refining industry, so from that perspective:

Diesel fuel has two specifications that are not present in heating oil specifications: lubricity and cetane index. Lubricity is self explanatory and cetane index is an indication of the fuel's ability to compression ignite.

Small refiners in the south who don't have a big heating oil market may only produce one formulation for both diesel and heating oil, so it has to meet the diesel lubricity, cetane and sulfur spec. So it is fine to use that heating oil in a diesel engine. The oil is the same.

But bigger refiners, particularly in the midwest or northeast refine two separate products. For diesel they add lubricity additives as well as cetane improvement additives or blend it to meet the cetane spec. They also refine it to meet the sulfur spec.

For fuel oil they don't have to worry about lubricity or cetane so you get what you get. It may be ok for diesel use or it may not be.

Caveat emptor.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #7

Not sure of the level of adjustment of referenced chemicals etc…. Nor any depth of detail related to the ATSM 520 micron lubricityscar requirement of all diesel, whether in a house or engine room.

But from the perspective of an old dinosaur diesel owner that has saved over 20k in the last decade, i think its awesome.

🤣
Old 09-17-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
I am a retired chemical engineer who worked in the petroleum refining industry, so from that perspective:

Diesel fuel has two specifications that are not present in heating oil specifications: lubricity and cetane index. Lubricity is self explanatory and cetane index is an indication of the fuel's ability to compression ignite.

Small refiners in the south who don't have a big heating oil market may only produce one formulation for both diesel and heating oil, so it has to meet the diesel lubricity, cetane and sulfur spec. So it is fine to use that heating oil in a diesel engine. The oil is the same.

But bigger refiners, particularly in the midwest or northeast refine two separate products. For diesel they add lubricity additives as well as cetane improvement additives or blend it to meet the cetane spec. They also refine it to meet the sulfur spec.

For fuel oil they don't have to worry about lubricity or cetane so you get what you get. It may be ok for diesel use or it may not be.

Caveat emptor.

David
Now this is the best kind of response! No guessing or dubious second-hand info. Actual, real world knowledge and experience. Thank you, David!

(And I’m not specifically speaking about this particular thread, but replies in general…)
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:07 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Call the supplier...

In several places (Mid-Atlantic) I have used home dock type delivers had the response..."it's the same as we deliver to toad stations."....

No problems with my Cat 3208s.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #10

City: West newbury
Trouble big time

I’m not sure how much you would really be saving if during the unlicensed , uninsured transport of these hazardous materials you were in an accident and the stuff ended up outside the non approved shipping containers or caught fire, etc., etc.

Would not matter how much money you had it wouldn’t be enough.

You would be in so deep they would have to pump air to you.

No offense but this is not smart.
Lamuncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamuncha View Post
I’m not sure how much you would really be saving if during the unlicensed , uninsured transport of these hazardous materials you were in an accident and the stuff ended up outside the non approved shipping containers or caught fire, etc., etc.

Would not matter how much money you had it wouldn’t be enough.

You would be in so deep they would have to pump air to you.

No offense but this is not smart.
What the heck are you talking about?
Old 09-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #12

City: West newbury
“I ask the fuel oil guy to fill up drums when he fills the house tank. “

“For me, i lift the barrels in truck with lift in garage and then just drive up to boat and siphon out. At 80$ saving a barrel, I enjoy the process”

Well if the drums are loaded onto a truck I assume there is transport involved.
Lamuncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #13
Guru

I believe up to 2 - 55gallon drums carried is unregulated from my basic research.

Lots of pickup have extra fuel tanks in the bed.

Now I see the scope of post #10
Old 09-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #14

City: Victoria
I have a friend who for many years ran his old Volvo diesel wagon on home heating oil. No problems. Maybe not so good in a recent diesel.
Old 09-17-2021, 06:54 PM   #15

No offense but this is not smart.[/QUOTE]

Drums are DOT approved. I fill up where I need to, where ever the boat is. (Sometimes on dock behind house. Sometimes at dock, sometimes at buddies place etc…

Nothing illegal. Boat takes 2 drums at a time. Sometimes I throw a 325 fuel bladder on deck for longer hauls thats filled from barrels.

Telling someone they are doing something “not smart” (aka stupid) is typically insulting, but your uneducated response dulled the blow, lmao.

The reason i wanted to tell folks is that sometimes money is tight and having options like this would keep
Folks on the water and using boats.

Have a good night
Old 09-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #16
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Well, that went south pretty quickly.

Edit: Actually, I have no idea where that saying came from.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:28 AM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Maybe from here, Andy. Get the T-Shirt!
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:32 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Home heating oil will not hurt your engine . old Ford Lemans run on anything . When I change my oil it goes right in my fuel tank. There’s a lot of brain surgeons on this form . and at least one guy claims he’s a rocket scientist . I’m just a dumb blue-collar guy that gets dirty when he works .this website is full of people that will tell you what to do. I buy diesel all over the United States .for my over the road trucks . you never know what you’re getting when I fill my truck I always look at the stream coming out of the nozzle sometimes it’s green sometimes it’s clear sometimes it dark , that’s the oil change oil from when they change oil at the truckstop . a lot of the over the road diesel Has biodiesel that stuff is junk . most all over the road diesel now has bio diesel in it pure crap in my opinion. Anytime I had fuel related problems on the road it was always related to biodiesel I would burn between 100 and 150 gallons of fuel a day run through a single filter water separator .that would get changed when I change my oil I carry a spare because you never know what you’re buying sometimes you can get some really bad fuel . it takes five minutes to change the filter . there’s a lot of rocket scientist on this website that will spend thousands of dollars putting in so-called fuel polishing systems on their boat when they barely burn 100 gallons a year .these are the people that are lecturing you.Try to find a commercial fuel dock Where commercial boats by their fuel . sometimes the fuel nozzles are quite large you might need an adapter . that is off-road fuel without all the fuel tax. I live close to a commercial fishing port so it works out for me . otherwise if you’re only burning a couple hundred gallons a year get a 10 gallon portable fuel tank with wheels and put 10 gallons in your boat at a time some marinas Frown on this but oh well
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:00 AM   #19
Guru

A guy at our marina used to use heating oil in his Cummins 210. Never had an issue.
I also know many guys who used heating oil in their old VW Rabbit diesels. Those guys would pump it out of their home oil tanks into a jerry jug and then fill up their cars.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:06 AM   #20

Thanks for “rebounding” the thread. Was not trying to start any war of words, etc….

I cant stand “armchair experts” that make vague assertions with simply nothing backing them up. Even worse, the sycophants who hang on every word like its bible. (e.g. “Now this is the best kind of response! No guessing or dubious second-hand info. Actual, real world knowledge and experience. Thank you, David!“)

Thousands of gallons of heating oil over a decade. SMH

Thanks again.