running gen while moving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here in the PNW we rarley need AC. I have 1400 amp hours of battery (why? Because I have the room). We also cook with gas (why? Cause that’s what she wants to cook with). Even with sat tv, computers, appliances and lights I never run out of power. My heat is even diesel. The only time I run the generator is if we have been on the hook for 48 hrs or if I need to make water. Now if I ever cruise to Mexico I expect we will be running the generator 24/7 just for AC.

yes, boat was painted a month ago.
I called the shop and asked any ideas about why
the bowls wouldn't pump water up.
The head shop guy told me "I bet that idiot kid painted
the holes shut "
I might need a haul out to clear them and I'm not paying
for their mistake.

Put a diver on it. Easy fix if they are painted over. Crazy to haul the boat out for that alone.

Running gen while moving

Hi,

We were in the same situation you are when we bought a new to us 30 yr old 50' boat. Some of the best money we spent was to hire a yard mechanic and have him go through the boat with us. I would sit in the engine room with him and point to something and ask, "What is that and what does it do?" I took lots of notes and pictures. Truth be told, it took about a year before I began to understand the boat fully.

Others have given you god info on why your electricity works or not so i will not repeat such. Good luck with your learning curve and there are several good choices for a boat yard in the Mobile/Fairhope area.

Alex

I need more time on my boat to learn it better,
I get so confused, easily on this electronics stuff.
I pull teeth and hurt people for a living,soon to be retired, this is a new learning experience for me.

Maybe poltergeist from some old patients getting even...????

Planning on leaving 8/7/18.

1st get totally working knowledge of the boat and get it to FL.

2nd get used to living aboard and exploring FL and the Keys

You have 2 months before you start your "adventure", I'd like to make a few humble suggestions.

1. Start spending some nights aboard. (get used to the sounds of your boat. You don't want to be worn out from lack of sleep AND trying to retain all the info your teacher will be giving you). Find out how comfortable your furniture and beds are.
2. Your new boat probably weighs 10x what you're used to, has lots more wind and water resistance. Find somewhere without current and "play" at docking and anchoring. Let your crew get some familiarity with their roles. Don't take it for granted that they won't be just as anxious as you when it comes to doing it for real around other boats and people in unfamiliar settings.
3. Learn/experience working the galley, bathing, house battery and water endurance, best places to store items that might be needed often and in emergencies, etc.

Now is the time to figure out what does or doesn't work as well as what you don't know how to operate/troubleshoot, not underway on a long trip far from the convenience of home/your own car and an area you are familiar with in the event you need to go shopping or hurt yourself due to unfamiliar surroundings.

Last edited:
I think it mostly due to the size of the boats. On small and mid-sized boats like many of us own, a genset is a bit noisy. Ours is pretty quiet, but we can still hear it running while we are in the salon or galley as the genset is below the salon floor. We don’t hear it from our cabin.

On a larger boat, there is more boat between the genset and the living quarters. This makes the genset completely unobtrusive. At the same time, larger boats have a higher consistent need for electrical power.

I don’t like to run my genset unless I need to. We don’t have AC nor an electric galley so there isn’t really the need.

No AC on that boat? Did you buy from new or from a PO? I know you are in the PNW, but if you go down the coast or sell in the future it could be a gap.

Last edited:
You have 2 months before you start your "adventure", I'd like to make a few humble suggestions.

Let your crew get some familiarity with their roles. Don't take it for granted that they won't be just as anxious as you.

How true is this.

I have been boating since ~ 8 years old. But my experience was sailboats. When we bought our first powerboat back in 2001 (a Silverton 40 aft cabin) my family just assumed I knew what I was doing. I didn't want to concern them overly that this was all new to me as well.

Well, bringing her back from Daytona to Jacksonville wasn't a big issue as we anchored out each night. However getting her into her slip the first time and subsequent times, after bumping a few things I shouldn't have, they quickly found out!

In fact it came home to me one time leaving the slip and turning into the fairway with my teenage daughter sitting on the bow. As I made the turn up between the two rows of boats I saw her bless herself!! Now that's a "come to Jesus" moment - literally!

So yes, crew comfort and confidence in yours and their roles is critical!

Twisted you are reading my mine.
I've been spending a couple of nights on the boat at the
marina.
Possibly next weekend if the Mississippi calms down, I will
try to spend a night at a nearby island or sand bar.
Encountering a few problems, the bottom painters forgot to
uncover the toilet intake outlets, so they wouldn't pump.
My new marina had to lift the boat 3 ft out of the water, then
crawl under and scrap the barrier and paint off.
So its a learning curve.
Thanks for any info

I didn’t even start the engine until a month after I bought her! Was used to a 24ft searay with pretty much nothing. Damn I was scared to death. Just opening the panel was scary! Lol!

I have learned so much, mainly from everyone on the forum. I already had engine knowledge, but the rest? Phew, that was another story.

Had to replace the refrigerator and went with a vitafrigo that automatically switches from ac to dc whenever shire power is disconnected. In the beginning, I would only turn on the generator while underway if I needed to cook something. Then I did the Christmas boat parade and had to have the generator on for a good 3-4 hours to run the 40,000 led Christmas lights. I am no longer afraid to run the generator while underway.

Take some time to figure out what will work for you. Disconnect from the dock and see what she can handle, being mindful of watching the amp meter. You’ll get it! Most of all, have fun!

Just one more thing:

My wife knew next to nothing about boats before meeting me. She had no interest whatsoever about "learning" the boat. It was/is my job to be captain. She'll help but doesn't want to be responsible. I respected that but insisted on one thing. She learn to start and stop the engine and genset as well as operating the electrical transfer switches and to select fuel tanks. She handled the anchor already so that part she was comfortable with.
We went through EVERYthing step by step and I had her write each one down and numbered in chart form.
I told her "you never know what might happen". I didn't expect her to be able to dock the boat. She might be required to get us back into cellphone/VHF range or to shorten the time to help reaching us.

Your first-mate may want nothing more out of the boating experience than the relaxation/exploration aspect. If you try to force more than that you might not use the boat much. I think every "captain" should demand atleast this much knowledge about boat operation from each person who will be aboard on a regular basis. It doesn't have to be a catastrophic injury or illness to incapacitate someone. A bad meal or water could take you out of commission.

Crew Communications

One item that we have considered to be essential are headsets. On larger boats where the person at the helm cannot see the person on the deck, the head sets allow easy quiet communication. For new boaters, there is stress enough just learning to dock the boat without having to yell at each other to be heard. For experienced boaters, headsets smooth out the process a lot. Here is a link to the set we finally ended up with after several less effective sets.

UltraLITE PG 1

Last edited:
Twisted, I fully agree with you about a back up crew member who can step in when needed. My wife and I, both in our 70's had no experience with large boats like our 50' trawler doing the great loop. We both took power squadron navigation courses one and two, and hired a captain and similar boat in FL for a week for training. By the end of the week we could both dock the boat in tight quarters. There is an outfit in Sarasota, called Sea Sense, run by women who do a great job training new boaters. In addition to the training we did, I spent the first 20 hours on our boat in the marina practicing leaving and returning to the dock. Even if your wife does not want to drive, knowing how will give her a sense of comfort that comes with knowledge. Another must do for us was to practice man overboard with a float. And I tried to never fall overboard when she was mad at me. :)

No AC on that boat? Did you buy from new or from a PO? I know you are in the PNW, but if you go down the coast or sell in the future it could be a gap.

Very few boats in the PNW have air conditioning, at least in the 40’ size range. I don’t think the lack of AC would be a drawback to selling the boat. Typically, there are only a few days each year where it would be really nice. As the summers warm up, that could be changing in the future.

If we did take the boat South, I would probably look at adding it. However, unless my wife dies that will never happen.

Most boats in the PNW never leave the PNW. Even down the west coast is ok without AC. There's no issue selling a boat without AC in that area. Selling one without heat is an issue.

Selling one without heat is an issue.

Even just reverse cycle heat is not ideal here. Most folks here want diesel heat. One of the first things I did when I moved my SoCal sailboat up to Puget Sound was install diesel heat.

Water piks are good but do not do the best job.

Really? Every single tooth I have is an implant. If there is something better, I would love to know! Pm me with your suggestions please.

Especially keep clean around implants.
You paid a lot of money for them, take care of them.
If debris and plaque build up around the implants the bone
and gums deteriorate rapidly and they can loosen.
Most of my patients with implants use the little fuzzy reusable
flossing sticks. Buy 20 of them at the local Pharmacy for $5, they do
a great job, as good as floss if you can get them between the crowns.
Buy the smallest size.

Here they are. Sideways pic as usual.

Attachments

• 74B711A0-B3BB-4CBA-8B11-9A8D473DB2A9.jpg
    74B711A0-B3BB-4CBA-8B11-9A8D473DB2A9.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 76
From running a generator while underway to the best way to clean your teef!

Wonderful stuff!

TALENT ON LOAN FROM GOD

Generator to Boating to teeth to pretty girl with teeth pic to cleaning teeth.

I can see the flow

. Another must do for us was to practice man overboard with a float.

In yacht racing days we used to do them with mostly full 30 litre water containers.
That way you get a truer experience of a barely visible blob sometimes above, sometimes below the water and, when you get it experience what its like pulling some dead weight aboard albeit 30kg not 100kg

This is just too funny! We never stay on topic!!!

LOL....Nuttin AC on the good ship Heron. Even my Wife is 12V....:)....as long as the batteries hold out I''m good!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom