Old 05-05-2020, 10:48 AM   #21
Guru

City: Out Cruisin'
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
On mine, hull speed is about 950rpm so that's what I run until temp is 185F. Once that is stable, I'll add power as desired. I don't advise going to high power setting until temp is stable. Takes my boat about a mile.
One reminder method I heard some time ago was to multiply engine temp by 10 for a not-to-exceed RPM during warmup.

boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I tighten the lines, conduct a standard engine check, fire up the Lehman 120 and check for water out the exhaust. After a minute or two, I put it into forward and let it run in forward for a few minutes. As the temperature come up, I increase RPM gradually as if cruising until the temperature reaches 150 degrees at which point the engine is running 1700 RPM. I run it at 1700 for about 5 minutes, in forward, at a temperature of 185 degrees.

I start reducing RPM gradually so that the stretched lines will gently return the boat to it's docked position. I place the transmission into reverse for a minute or two and neutral.

I let the engine idle for a few minutes while I retie the lines and shut the engine off.

syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:57 PM   #23
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Start and run dead idle several minutes.
Run several five or so minutes at 1100rpm.
Tighten up the spring line if needed, put in fwd gear and run for about 8-10 min at 1400rpm. Sometimes 15 to 20 min. Sometimes for a minute at WOT. That’s overloading the engine though because the boat is stationary.

I can guarantee there would be scary breakages if we did that.
When we first got her we did it at 800rpm idle to check gearbox pressures.
Ropes were protesting the boats 150ft behind us were being buffeted around and we deepened the channel judging by the amount of mud churned, and we had 4ft under keel.

14 litre engine driving a 48 inch 4 blade prop inside a Kortz nozzle has some bollard pull

Never again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #24

City: Alameda
Vessel Name: Rocinante
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 Trawler Tri-Cabin
Twice a month I take my twin FL120’s for a 30 minute cruise then on my way back in stop at the pump out station for a quick unload. They run like champions and never need to pay for a pump out.
KnottyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Holland, Michigan
Vessel Name: Emerald Isle
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrQ View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions about starting and warming up the engines.

Is this something you do weekly at the marina?

What do you do before starting, what to look for when running?

How long do you run the engines?

What other suggestions do you recommend?

Thank you in advance!!!
I have a system that has worked for me for about 60 years with numerous gas and diesel, turbo and NA cars, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers, airplanes and boats, including my current Cummins (turbo) diesel in my boat. When I need the engine I start it and when I'm through with it I shut it off. The end. My position is that more damage is caused by idling cold and fussing with it than just running it for the purpose intended. Same is true when departing a dock. I get all the lines loose but one and then start the engine, toss the line and leave. Bothers the neighbors a lot less. Works for me.
garycasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Morehead City, NC
I have a Mainship with a Perkins diesel. Diesel mechanic will tell you to never crank it in the marina more frequently than once a month. To do so means that the fuel never burns adequately off and will crud up the engine causing eventual damage. It will not get hot enough in the marina to burn off the fuel. What I do is crank mine monthly while tied up and then put it in gear and run it 1100 rpm until it reaches 180 degrees or so. It takes about an hour for mine but when I'm done the blue smoke has turned to the normal light white smoke.
Gaylord Ballard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 AM   #27

City: Fremantle
Vessel Name: Annie
Vessel Model: Clipper 34
G'day,

Plenty mentioned on here about running the engines on load so wont go there..

Personally, I run up one engine, leave the engine bay open, check with torch for leaks, how the belts are running, coolent etc etc. Check for water pumping out the exhaust. Shut down and do the same on the other engine.

Running one engine at a time I can hear any noises or anomalies during start up..

I check gauges on both lower and upper helm.

We make a point to open close sea cocks when visiting the boat, and also spin the wheel turning the rudders. Maybe it makes a difference but there is time when the boat has sat for a while and maybe fouling could clog up around the steering

mlaloli is offline   Reply With Quote