Reverse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I have a 1983 Ford Lehman 120hp I started the engine today and put it in forward all ok ... when I put it in reverse there was s whining sound ... never heard theat before any ideas ?? Thank you

Sure sounds like a transmission problem, and possibly a damper plate issue. Time to call in a mechanic.

would think a dampner plate would be a problem in both directions.

remember a thread or two that mentioned that reverse on Borg Warners had a special isdue or two.

a search migh reveal info or some of the better mechs onboard will chime in hopefully.

Did reverse work ok? As in spin the prop?

Reverse on a BW VD goes through a planetary gearset. They do whine normally.

Are you certain the noise is more than usual?

“Did reverse work ok? As in spin the prop?”
Ski wants to help but you have to give him something to work with.

Did the boat back down?
Does the noise go away in neutral or forward?
Is it temp related?
Does the noise go away as things warm up?
Is it a hydraulic type noise or something like metal scraping?
Are your fluids topped off?
Any unusual vibrations?
Ever happened before?

The first thing I would have done would have been to check the oil or fluid in the transmission. Next, I would have tried to move in reverse and noticed if the sound changed and if the boat ran in reverse.

heck on my boat anything cold but beer and ice causes a whining noise.... :)

after establishing things work but there is a noise.... if the more experiences mechs agree, maybe an oil change and strain it through cloth is in order to see if tbere are any particles being made.

I forget if there is a magnetic plug but even then, I thought there are some parts you are looking for that arent steel.

Did reverse work ok? As in spin the prop?

Reverse on a BW VD goes through a planetary gearset. They do whine normally.

Are you certain the noise is more than usual?

Yes, my 72C's ALWAYS whined in reverse (only).
Maybe the hatch was open that last time??

Many makes and models of transmissions make a different noise in reverse because of the changes internally for rotation change. Unless the noise is suddenly new, it's probably ok. You can spend a lot of mechanic money on a non-existent problem. Many lesser mechanics will start changing expensive parts while chasing a noise. Often with no real change in the end.

Have two Perkins with velvet drives. When I purchased the boat the engines idled at 450 and shook the boat too much for my liking. I bumped the idle to 600. Made the port tranny whine significantly more than usual. That was about 6 years ago. Velvet drive guy I spoke to told me the trannys port and starboard will sound different as they are different transmission ( think rotation).

My point is that if your idle has changed at all it can make the tranny sound much different.

yes the prop does turn when in reverse and forward does also .. I am always on the upper station when leaving and coming back to slip so I wouold not hear the noise..its just that I started the engne as it had not been started since dec. and was in the lower station when I did

heck on my boat anything cold but beer and ice causes a whining noise.... :)
I forget if there is a magnetic plug but even then, I thought there are some parts you are looking for that arent steel.

VD's typically have a magnet glued to the bottom to pick
up particles from the clutch plates. But you have to disassemble the transmission to clean it.

Grinding, rumbling, or clear metallic noises would get my attention quickly. There are a lot of gears meshing so I would expect a steady humming or whining. If the whining suddenly appeared I would put a stethoscope on and try to narrow it down. A bearing might whine during it's death spiral but it's more apt to rumble.

Last edited:
yes the prop does turn when in reverse and forward does also .. I am always on the upper station when leaving and coming back to slip so I wouold not hear the noise..its just that I started the engne as it had not been started since dec. and was in the lower station when I did

Yes, my BW Velvet Drives sound a bit scary in reverse, from the lower helm. I'm rarely down there so the few times I've heard it were a bit alarming.

Back
Top Bottom