Rerouting exhaust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotoman

Guru
I'm replacing my water tanks (located in the cockpit bilge) and I'm thinking of rerouting the exhaust hose to gain more space. The new route would make the hose do a bit more twists and turns (more like a U shape than the current S shape). I'm wondering if it's advisable to introduce more bends in that hose. I'll post pictures later to help you get a clearer idea but I'd like to get your input on that.

If you spend any time looking a old boats you will find that many exhaust systems are far from original. I have seen boats that have changed from dry vertical stacks to wet hoses routed to the stern, from side output to stern output, et cetera. In short, any route that preserves the gradual downslope of a wet exhaust will do. If you can bend the exhaust hose without stressing it, you can put it where you have the space. The water in your muffler (assuming you use one) will put far more back pressure in your system than introducing a new bend or two could add.

If redoing exhaust...and it's going to be a major redo...consider side exhausts..

Why? What are the advantages?

Shorter run...not much else...usually the only disadvantage is dirty hull sides near the exhaust caused by wax.

When I repowered and replumbed my boat, I read a lot of Dave Gerr's articles and books. They were quite informative.

I did not bend any hose. I used (long radius) elbows. There is a length/diameter thumbrule as well. I used a manometer when I was done to prove (to myself) that I had appropriate backpressure for the new diesel.

What are the advantages?

Running downwind does not fill the boat with exhaust fumes.

Are we talking about the North Sea exhaust here? A common exhaust pipe that runs athwartships and discharges out both sides? If so, they make a lot of sense. Just hard to fit into the pre-existing design of a lot of boats. I couldn't make one work on mine.

my wet exhaust does not utilize any type of muffler and does discharge on the side about 2 feet from the transom. There is sufficient drop for gravity only.

I have been thinking of trying an inline type of muffler (non-waterlift).

The purpose is for sound dampening only.

Has anyone compared a non-muffled exhaust to one with a Vernatone or even a 'slip in' like a Dapar?

my wet exhaust does not utilize any type of muffler and does discharge on the side about 2 feet from the transom. There is sufficient drop for gravity only.

I have been thinking of trying an inline type of muffler (non-waterlift).

The purpose is for sound dampening only.

Has anyone compared a non-muffled exhaust to one with a Vernatone or even a 'slip in' like a Dapar?

Old thread I know but one thing I can say is that the Vetus DMP does absolutely nothing in my experience, a total waste of money.

Back
Top Bottom