Old 01-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #1

City: Elk Grove
Replacing FL 120 Exhaust Elbows

We are about three months into our 1980 CHB 45. Twin FL 120’s 1800 hours. All previous owners did a great job maintaining the engines. Now it’s my turn. Been on boats all my life 45+ years. First experience with Diesel engines.

Exhaust elbows showing some serious signs of corrosion. Purchased new elbows from ADC. Got all the bolts loose, which I feel like that was lucky. Noticed coolant dripping from the bottom of the elbow. Didn’t expect that. Hit pause on the project. I wasn’t equipped to handle a coolant dump. Do I need to drain the coolant before pulling the elbows off? Or is this just a little residual.
DCParks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I think you do have to drain coolant to the bottom level of the manifold.

I also remember that I did like you and didn't realize and worried about how much coolant may have leaked into the rear cylinder...so unless someone here knows better...you may want to bar over the engine a couple of times to make sure little or no coolant mae it to the rear cylinder(s).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
You are wise to replace the elbows. They were at the end of their useful life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCParks23 View Post
We are about three months into our 1980 CHB 45. Twin FL 120’s 1800 hours. All previous owners did a great job maintaining the engines. Now it’s my turn. Been on boats all my life 45+ years. First experience with Diesel engines.

Exhaust elbows showing some serious signs of corrosion. Purchased new elbows from ADC. Got all the bolts loose, which I feel like that was lucky. Noticed coolant dripping from the bottom of the elbow. Didn’t expect that. Hit pause on the project. I wasn’t equipped to handle a coolant dump. Do I need to drain the coolant before pulling the elbows off? Or is this just a little residual.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #4
Guru

Next you should consider re-torquing the heads and then adjusting the valves, something that should be done at least at 1,000 hour intervals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCParks23 View Post

Old 01-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Why is there coolant in the elbows? Raw water, yes.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The elbow seals the end of the fresh water cooled manifold I believe.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #7

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Waves of Grace
Vessel Model: Universal 36
Yes. Drain the coolant down below the exhaust manifold. The elbow seals off the aft end of the water jacket.

Get everything off, clean and dress the surfaces. Use a new gasket, and some sealant - I can't remember what kind I used, but it was at the recommendation of ADC.

Fill the coolant back up, make sure all the air is clear from the cooling system and go boating.
hobbystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #8
Guru

ADC recommends Permanente #2 but on the engine side only. Don't know why not on both sides but I replaced mine recently and no leaks.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:10 AM   #9
Guru

When I replaced mine the lower section of the exhaust manifold was corroded about 1/16 inch deep in the center. Not quite all the way thru that’s why it didn’t leak. I pulled the manifold off and had that end milled off until the surface was solid cast iron again. Took off approximately 1/8 of an inch total.
Machining that end doesn’t hurt anything
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #10
TJM

City: Essex, Ct.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 1982 41' President
I will be doing the same swap out in a month or so. Is that Permatex sealant ? Maybe a Typo ? I have never heard of Permanente.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #11

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
following
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
When I got my elbows from ADC, they sent me two gaskets, one for the front end which has coolant passages cut and the aft end, which has no passages cut. Be sure you put the correct one on the aft end.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:24 PM   #13
Guru

Yes, typo. Permatex #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM View Post
I will be doing the same swap out in a month or so. Is that Permatex sealant ? Maybe a Typo ? I have never heard of Permanente.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:59 AM   #14

City: Elk Grove
Came across engine manual and figured out where I need to drain coolant from. Also saw a diagram of the fresh water flow so it all is starting to make sense. Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I think you do have to drain coolant to the bottom level of the manifold.

I also remember that I did like you and didn't realize and worried about how much coolant may have leaked into the rear cylinder...so unless someone here knows better...you may want to bar over the engine a couple of times to make sure little or no coolant mae it to the rear cylinder(s).
DCParks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #15
Guru

If you are going to bar the engine over, remember to retract the shut-off solenoid to stop all fuel supply to the injector pump. It's a safety issue in that turning the engine over by hand may cause the engine to start, not a good thing. A remote possibility but easy enough to prevent an accident. Just retract the plunger and hold it in place with a wire tie.

As for having ingested water into a cylinder, that will not happen if you drain the coolant first, easy enough to do. I attach tubing to the petcock and drain the coolant into a five gallon bucket. I drain it all to ensure I get it below the manifold. Then, I later put it back in. But, now would be your opportunity to refresh your antifreeze which should be done occasionally. In my case, when I changed elbows, the coolant was less than a year old. Have fun.