Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #41
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
since Volvo are willing to replace the engine it is possible they know something we don't. Other engines may have problems they are not revealing. I would be reluctant to drag out the process in case they change their mind.
I think this is a really good point. Manufacturers typically fight tooth and nail before replacing an engine. If they have said yes, jump on it even though it involves major surgery. Don't give them an opportunity to change their mind. Over time the problem will only get worse, not better, and you will end up holding the bag, not Volvo.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #42

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
The Volvo service rep has visited the boat only one time, hooked up his computer while I ran the sea trial, and told me everything was to spec.

Afterwards, even he was fooled by the oil level, which was extremly slow to rise.

That has been the extent of their "hands-on" involvement.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #43
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Suggest you jump on this pronto, personnel changes and time elapsed could bite you in the ass.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:26 AM   #44
Guru

City: Vermont
I guess I'm a little unclear on what the actual situation is.

Has Volvo said they will replace the engine covering all parts, material, and labor?
Old 05-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I guess I'm a little unclear on what the actual situation is.

Has Volvo said they will replace the engine covering all parts, material, and labor?
All inclusive is the critical thing to confirm. But even so I would not delay in accepting the offer of a new long block. Sooner or later the problem engine will cause serious grief, and you dont want it in your boat and be wondering just when that might happen. Even if you have to cover part of the exchange costs now, in the long run you will come out ahead by doing it now.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:12 AM   #46

Volvo has agreed to allow me and their service rep time for due diligence.

During this time there will be diagnostic testing, dip stick calibration, and 50 additional running hours.

Along with your comments, any suggestions on what tests can / should be done are most appreciated

Volvo has stated that should engine replacement be necessary they will pay for the job, all inclusive, as they would under warranty.

I'll let you know how this turns out.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #47
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
During this 50 hours do not baby the engine. Run it like it was designed so that oil usage can be accurately noted. A newer 4 stroke will consume about 0.03% to 0.05% oil per amount of fuel.

Has Volvo told you in writing the design oil burn rate for that specific engine?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #48
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I'd run it on the pins for those 50 hours. Diesel life is not about Hobbs meter numbers, it's about total fuel burned. The factory gave you 50 hours then you feed that engine every gallon of fuel it can burn in that time.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:21 AM   #49
Guru

City: Miami
Did you have the engines surveyed and fluids analyzed when you bought this boat? Nice benchmark to have for comparison. If not I would pull samples for oil and coolant now and have them analyzed. The Volvo dealer should be able to do a proper survey but if it was me I might be inclined to contact a third party independent maybe from up to 100 miles away.

For the record your burn rate doesn't sound that out of spec as my Luggers with 4700 hours burn roughly .0025 per unit of fuel. Your two engines are running: 7/(65*128)=.00084 and 24/8320=.0028 per unit of fuel. I'd pay a little more attention to the tight engine at this stage. Run them hard and hot at various speeds over the next 20 hours. And then pull samples again.

Via iPhone.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:28 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
During this 50 hours do not baby the engine. Run it like it was designed so that oil usage can be accurately noted. A newer 4 stroke will consume about 0.03% to 0.05% oil per amount of fuel.

Has Volvo told you in writing the design oil burn rate for that specific engine?
This oil burn rate is interesting and I'll see what Volvo says what my range should be.

Do you mean .4%? Because .04% equates to .0004, which is minuscule.
65 x 128 x .0004=3.328 oz, right? But 65 x 128 x .004= 33.28 oz.

The first calculation seems low and the second seems high.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:34 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
Did you have the engines surveyed and fluids analyzed when you bought this boat? Nice benchmark to have for comparison. If not I would pull samples for oil and coolant now and have them analyzed. The Volvo dealer should be able to do a proper survey but if it was me I might be inclined to contact a third party independent maybe from up to 100 miles away.

For the record your burn rate doesn't sound that out of spec as my Luggers with 4700 hours burn roughly .0025 per unit of fuel. Your two engines are running: 7/(65*128)=.00084 and 24/8320=.0028 per unit of fuel. I'd pay a little more attention to the tight engine at this stage. Run them hard and hot at various speeds over the next 20 hours. And then pull samples again.

Via iPhone.
They ran oil samples in the fall, around 50 hours ago. I'll have them take new ones and compare.
Why coolant samples?
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM   #52
Guru

Yes, oil consumption on newer engines is quite low. They are designed this way to meet emissions specs as well as to achieve better efficiency. Don't get misled by what older engine owners report.

The Volvo D series are designed to be well below 0.1%, maybe 1/3 of that number. For on the road use Volvo has a design and compliance limit for new engines. This oil consumption number should be readily available and most likely to achieve certification Volvo engines have to meet a time limit for compliance, maybe 1000 hours on a Dyno.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
They ran oil samples in the fall, around 50 hours ago. I'll have them take new ones and compare.
Why coolant samples?
Thanks for your help.
Oil analysis came back. Blackstone Labs in Indiana summarized that both engines seem extremely healthy.

I Called them as the samples from October 2014 were not compared, in the second report, to the ones in June 2015. The guy on the phone could not have been nicer or more competent! He reviewed both sets of samples, compared, and incorporated into new summary for me.

Still a mystery why it takes so long ( 10-15 hours ) for the hot oil to settle. Makes no sense. At least I know to wait before checking.
Back at it soon, as Lady Di sits in Marco.

Here is report From 1 engine if you can read it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 07:36 AM   #54

RickB,

Thanks for your comments on this.

I don't see how I've talked myself out of anything.

Volvo has committed to replacing the long-block, and will keep the case open until 3/31/16.

If at that time it's clear that the engine needs replacing - they'll do it.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #55
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
RickB,

Volvo has committed to replacing the long-block, and will keep the case open until 3/31/16.
If you have that in writing with no other conditions then good.

Quote:
If at that time it's clear that the engine needs replacing - they'll do it.
This is where things don't quite fit ... if Volvo agreed in writing to immediately replace the engine then it is clear to them that it needs replacement. It appears to have been your decision to postpone that procedure.

Is there an hours of use limit along with the drop dead and go away date?

So they are happy to let you keep adding oil and get another 1000 hours or so before they give you a new engine plus installation?

It is a no-brainer on Volvo's part to accept a postponement of financial liability as long as possible and if the terms of the postponement do not clearly state the conditions which trigger replacement then they may find it very easy to avoid any further responsibility. Every passing day works in their favor.

The "if" in "if it's clear" is the hanging chad ... is that word written into their agreement, and if so then what are the "clear" conditions that turn "if" into "will"?

Why would you even want to live any length of time with a problematic engine (or two) when the manufacturer has offered to replace it with no argument?

Something doesn't quite compute ...
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #56
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Go grief guys, Volvo is willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars to replace the long block on this engine, do you think they know there is a problem?

They know that this is not going to be a long running engine and I would jump on the replacement at their expense.

You could wait and see and then have the fun of doing the exact same thing in a year or two at your expense.

Don't wait, if anything happens to that engine that reduces the value of the block or even attached items you may be on the hook for the cost, Volvo would love to say your delay caused an increase in their expense and therefor they rescind their full replacement.

Don't really understand the argument or even the question, just let them do what needs to be done and count your blessings.

I would schedule the work to start next week if it was me.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #57
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I just love how we have dozens of threads on this forum blasting Volvo for no support and then we are treated to this hot mess.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #58
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I just love how we have dozens of threads on this forum blasting Volvo for no support and then we are treated to this hot mess.
Is kinda funny...but I always felt it was lack of supporting the aging engines that got the bad rap. Boat owners expect support for many decades. Furuno always gets a high five for their legacy support...Volvo not so much.

But nice catch....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #59
Guru

Quote:
This oil burn rate is interesting and I'll see what Volvo says what my range should be.

Do you mean .4%? Because .04% equates to .0004, which is minuscule.
65 x 128 x .0004=3.328 oz, right? But 65 x 128 x .004= 33.28 oz.

The first calculation seems low and the second seems high.
It appears you are back on the hunt here. What does an oil analysis have to do with above spec oil consumption?

Your reported high (what is it again?) oil consumption triggered alarms, it should. Volvo has published oil burn rates, yours are in exceedance from the get go.

FYI, minuscule oil burn (not drops and leaks) is indeed the reality for modern era diesels. This summer my 12 year old 2000 hour engines are around 0.07% with drips accounting for a goodly amount.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
It appears you are back on the hunt here. What does an oil analysis have to do with above spec oil consumption?

Your reported high (what is it again?) oil consumption triggered alarms, it should. Volvo has published oil burn rates, yours are in exceedance from the get go.

FYI, minuscule oil burn (not drops and leaks) is indeed the reality for modern era diesels. This summer my 12 year old 2000 hour engines are around 0.07% with drips accounting for a goodly amount.
Volvo told me that the oil to fuel burn should be no more than .14%.

The oil analysis was posted just incase anyone wanted to comment on the results, and because someone requested it on an earlier post.

Again, I'm not sure of the actual oil burn. I discovered that it takes these engines an eternity (10-15 hours) for the oil to settle out after use. As such, I may have unwittingly overfilled by waiting only an hour or 2.

When I return to Florida I will be all over this like a cheap suit! Over the next 30-50 hours I will precisely know the burn rate. If it's excessive I will have Volvo honor their commitment. Yes, I have it in writing.

To replace engines is MAJOR surgery and disruption. I'll be damned if I'll go through it before I KNOW it is necessary.

I'm not worried about Volvo going back on their commitment. They have been very up-front and honorable in trying to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you.