Removing transmission when boat is in water. Bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryastu

Veteran Member
Hi All,

Having issues with the port transmission. In order to remove it from the engine it will require clearing some space by decoupling it and pushing the shaft aft several inches. I have a dripless fitting on the shaft. I've seen some conflicting viewpoints on this; should it be done with the boat out of the water as to not compromise the integrity of the dripless fitting?

Looking for your experience and thoughts. Thanks in advance! - Ryan

My question is WHO is telling you that and WHY would it compromise the integrity of the bearing?

I don't see it necessarily damaging anything, a PSS bearing might have to be tied or blocked so it remains at the correct angle to keep the bearing surfaces aligned.

If another type with rubber seals, a corroded shaft might damage the seals and cause a minor leak.

I wouldn't stop at just anyone's word, often things are not recommended because of "possible" dangers that often can be overcome.

The classic is putting in a through hull while still in the water. It has some critical "gotta be done right" parts.... but is still done quite often.

A mechanic with experience doing this and I pulled my GB42's stbd Borg Warner tranny years ago while afloat. I had the PYI dripless seals. It was no biggie. Took a little big of elbow grease to work the shaft back about six inches.

Either way you will have to slide the shaft aft, whether on the hard or in the water. Don’t see much difference. Maybe polish the shaft with some emery cloth before sliding it.

How good is the access to the transmission, through hull and seal? Is there a good nearby yard that could have a look? Nothing beats eyes on by the right guy to sssess shaft moving back and transmission removal.

They're might be another issue. When you slide the shaft back it's going to stop when the prop hits the rudder. Does that give you enough room? Out of water you could remove the prop and pull the shaft as far as you need.

When I pulled the transmissions off our Lehman 225s I believe it took about 2.5” or so to clear the damper and disconnect the transmission.

I wouldn’t worry about the shaft seal at this time, the transmission must come out, so if the seal is damaged, and I don’t see why it would be, you will have ample opportunity to repair it and hang a spare while the tranny is in the shop.
Suggested above to polish shaft before moving it back.

My question is WHO is telling you that and WHY would it compromise the integrity of the bearing?

I don't see it necessarily damaging anything, a PSS bearing might have to be tied or blocked so it remains at the correct angle to keep the bearing surfaces aligned.

If another type with rubber seals, a corroded shaft might damage the seals and cause a minor leak.

I wouldn't stop at just anyone's word, often things are not recommended because of "possible" dangers that often can be overcome.

The classic is putting in a through hull while still in the water. It has some critical "gotta be done right" parts.... but is still done quite often.

The shafter seals are PYI, Packless Seal System.

I've just seen some conflicting information online. I've just seen a few posts where people refer to the potential to compromise seals. At this point in my boating adventure every problem is a new problem to me so just trying to figure S#%t out.....

Back
Top Bottom