Remote Switch for Block Heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
I've got a couple block heaters in my Perkins that work great if you can turn them on about 8 hours before you actually want to start the engines. I'd like to set them up so that I could turn them on remotely, like though an app on my phone, and am assuming that would be possible without too much fuss. Wondering if anyone has done this and how they went about it. Thanks

I've got a couple block heaters in my Perkins that work great if you can turn them on about 8 hours before you actually want to start the engines. I'd like to set them up so that I could turn them on remotely, like though an app on my phone, and am assuming that would be possible without too much fuss. Wondering if anyone has done this and how they went about it. Thanks

I am just curious if you have a reason not to just leave them on. In my case (Detroit Diesels 8V92TA) my DD Qualified mechanic says to leave them on 24/7/365. My electric bill is a flat charge so that perhaps influences the decision?
~A

If you look at Siren boat monitoring (have it on my boat), it gives you the ability to activate up to 4 relays. The relays need to be 12 VDC coils. I have one on my system capable of switching a 25 amp load.

Ted

Max,

If you have access to the marina WiFi you might be able to get away with a cheap solution. Any of the smart plugs should work for under $10. I use those for turning on and off heaters and a dehumidifier remotely. My marina charges $0.09 per KWH. That would mean for me that if the block heaters were on 24X7 they would cost around $120 per month in the electricity bill.

I’m surprised you need them on for 8 hours prior. I had a block heater on my Dodge/Cummins pickup and I had a timer to run the heater for 1 hour prior to leaving for work in the am. Even with air temps in the upper teens it would have heat at start up.

A friend just installed a remote switch for the block heater on his airplane that's controlled by his cell phone. Pretty slick trick. Doesn't require wi-fi on the receiving end.

A friend just installed a remote switch for the block heater on his airplane that's controlled by his cell phone. Pretty slick trick. Doesn't require wi-fi on the receiving end.

Do you have access to details?

If you have Wifi coverages, the "Geeni" outlet plug switches are great. I had our dehumidifier on it. Allowed me to create schedule to turn it on/off automatically, as well as turning on manually from anywhere.

@ABFish,
I noticed that link is for a GSM cellular device. That technology in the US is dead in 2022 but there are similar 4G/LTE devices on Amazon that should work.

@ABFish,
I noticed that link is for a GSM cellular device. That technology in the US is dead in 2022 but there are similar 4G/LTE devices on Amazon that should work.

Thanks for that.

If you have Wifi coverages, the "Geeni" outlet plug switches are great. I had our dehumidifier on it. Allowed me to create schedule to turn it on/off automatically, as well as turning on manually from anywhere.

Hmm....that's worth a try. We do have WiFi, but will have to check signal in engine room

Further to post #2 my CAT tech said to leave the block heaters on all the time, and I’m in FL. Also have flat rate electric.

If you have signal strength or log in requirements a travel router might solve your issues.

"Alexa" and a smart plug should do it if you have internet access on your boat.

A web search might turn op a simpler solution.

I also leave the block heater, on the Lehman, plugged in 24/7 - any additional energy cost will be offset by lower long term costs - in the engine maintenance department. I like to keep systems simple: Block heater plugged into a GFCI outlet and controlled with a breaker panel switch.

I also leave the block heater, on the Lehman, plugged in 24/7 - any additional energy cost will be offset by lower long term costs - in the engine maintenance department. I like to keep systems simple: Block heater plugged into a GFCI outlet and controlled with a breaker panel switch.

What kind of block heater? Freeze plug style or?

I use a KASA plug to remotely turn on my block heater about 2 hours before I get to our boat with a cummins 6bta. I've been doing this for 1 season and I like it a lot better than the inlet air heater that I disabled. The plug works off wifi and a app.

Alan,

I notice my block heater on my Cummins 6.8 truck engine actually initiates nucleate boiling at the heater element. I can hear the bubbles forming and collapsing inside the block while standing next to the engine. I stopped 27/7 block heater operations because I thought the boiling might be degrading the coolant or shortening it’s life. I put a 24 hour timer in the circuit and only energize the heaters maybe four hours a day in spaced apart 1 hour increments based on outside temperatures. Something you might consider or research further.

I agree with your approach. A warm block seems like a good idea to minimize condensation of water vapor on engine internals.

Back
Top Bottom